RL26 & Berger 140 Elite Htr in Nosler 26

No worries. I don't feel picked on. I was just repeating what was told to me from the alliant tech I spoke with on Wednesday. He said RL26 is slightly slower than RL25. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. If you don't mind me asking how can you guys tell if powders are burning slower or faster? I know there are burn rate charts but I don't think RL26 is on those yet. I shot retumbo, Rl33 and RL26 in a 6-284 i have. retumbo and 33 were fairly similar but RL26 gained close to 200 fps over those powders. I am still shooting this load to gather more info but have about 30 down the tube with those velocity gains. I shoot everything over an oehler 35p for data. Thanks guys.

No worries. I don't feel picked on. I was just repeating what was told to me from the alliant tech I spoke with on Wednesday. He said RL26 is slightly slower than RL25. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. If you don't mind me asking how can you guys tell if powders are burning slower or faster? I know there are burn rate charts but I don't think RL26 is on those yet. I shot retumbo, Rl33 and RL26 in a 6-284 i have. retumbo and 33 were fairly similar but RL26 gained close to 200 fps over those powders. I am still shooting this load to gather more info but have about 30 down the tube with those velocity gains. I shoot everything over an oehler 35p for data. Thanks guys.

It's complicated and the technical details are above my pay grade. Most have experienced that 26 will produce more velocity at a given charge vs 25, hence the thought that it burns a bit faster. Probably more complicated than that, but seems to be the rule of thumb.

I think you will find RL26 a bit fast. I have run us869, retumbo, h50bmg, 7977, rl33 in mine. The best bullet for mine seems to be the 127lrx. The next in line was the 140accubond. The 26N is a tougher cartridge to load for, or at least has been in the two that I have had. I found both rifles to be very picky, woth narrow wkndows for good loads. With 140's i was right around 3300fps and brass life would be 4-5 loading before the brass was toast (won't chamber as its too fat, and primer pockets loose).

I think you will find RL26 a bit fast. I have run us869, retumbo, h50bmg, 7977, rl33 in mine. The best bullet for mine seems to be the 127lrx. The next in line was the 140accubond. The 26N is a tougher cartridge to load for, or at least has been in the two that I have had. I found both rifles to be very picky, woth narrow wkndows for good loads. With 140's i was right around 3300fps and brass life would be 4-5 loading before the brass was toast (won't chamber as its too fat, and primer pockets loose).
What happened to your two 26 N ???
Barrel burnout? Sold them??

I sold one (nosler patriot) and still have a fierce ti. Some where around 400 rounds in the fierce, still shoots fine and I don't seem to be chasing the lands. I would like to bore scope it and see how it looks. I have been pretty gentle on the barrel, never let it get above warm to the touch, no long strings. But it has been bumped around hunting a bit. I would have thought that the hydro-dip paint was a bit tougher but the carbonfiber stays on my kuiu pack scratched/ chipped that off like nothing!

Im very gentle with my barrels also and I borescope every cleaning. Over the years I've learned that most of my barrels are failing due to fire cracking as opposed to throat erosion.
Must be because I use the absolute slowest powder possible, lol.

I thought RL26 was faster than RL25 as it as all the characteristics of being faster that we as reloaders can see, like equal amounts in the same cartridge will produce lower velocity with the 26 than with the 25. I was proved wrong in a thread over on Accurate Shooter based on actual kilo jewels per millisecond, (I'm talking out of my butt on that stuff) but they had the actual yield over time rates and some other stuff showing that it is indeed slower than RL25. It is a strange powder, but I like it a lot !

The 26N is a tougher cartridge to load for, or at least has been in the two that I have had. I found both rifles to be very picky, woth narrow wkndows for good loads. With 140's i was right around 3300fps and brass life would be 4-5 loading before the brass was toast (won't chamber as its too fat, and primer pockets loose).[/QUOTE]

**************************************************************************************************
I've found the same thing to be true! Since I didn't build this rifle to do a lot of shooting with, I've decided to stick with new and once fired, full length resized brass only! Doing this I have no problems with loose primer pockets or chambering. I already have load development with 140 HVLDs and 127 LRXs, so for me, it will be just sighting in every year and then a few rounds used on game each year! I love the speed and accuracy of this rifle and at this rate, it should last me a lifetime! I have plenty other rifles to shoot all I want....

The 26N is a tougher cartridge to load for, or at least has been in the two that I have had. I found both rifles to be very picky, woth narrow wkndows for good loads. With 140's i was right around 3300fps and brass life would be 4-5 loading before the brass was toast (won't chamber as its too fat, and primer pockets loose).

**************************************************************************************************
I've found the same thing to be true! Since I didn't build this rifle to do a lot of shooting with, I've decided to stick with new and once fired, full length resized brass only! Doing this I have no problems with loose primer pockets or chambering. I already have load development with 140 HVLDs and 127 LRXs, so for me, it will be just sighting in every year and then a few rounds used on game each year! I love the speed and accuracy of this rifle and at this rate, it should last me a lifetime! I have plenty other rifles to shoot all I want....[/QUOTE]

You gentlemen are no doubt very experienced with the 26 Nosler. My question revolves around variables I see in published data, as well as posted data, favorite loads, etc. For example: Nosler's publication shows the max load of Retumbo behind a 130 grain AccuBond to be 74 grains (3340fps). Berger's published data shows with a 140 grain VLD Hunter the max load of 80.2 grains of Retumbo (3205 fps). I understand the construction of these two bullets is quite different, but better than 6 grains of powder with a bullet that's 10 grains heavier? Is that much variance possible due simply to bullet construction?
Thank you in advance for your experienced insight.

I haven't looked at the retumbo load data specifically, but in both of my 26's I could go significantly higher than the berger load data with us869. The nosler max loads were within a grain of stiff bolt lift and a pretty decent bolt face swipe mark on the case head.

R26 is indeed a strange (but good) powder. It seems to work best in cases with 45 to 75 grain capacity, from .243 through the 6.5x284 , the short mags and the middle 300 mags. It usually gets close to 100% density and QL shows it to be the top performer in these rounds. Ive personaly only used it in my 240 Wby and it was 100 fps faster than MRP, but is my new favorite powder. Trying it next in 6.5x284 ,6.5 saum, and maybe .300 Dakota.

Curious if anyone has had success with the RL26 26Nosler combo yet....cause I want to use it there also.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.