Rl-22 sensative

For what its worth to many combined answers to this thread: Hercules powders are double based, and yes I've found they are more temperature sensitive than most other powders. Both RL 22 and Rl 25 really seem to fit the burning rate spectrum of large cases really well and these powders seem to do their very best in cases when loaded right at the very max, thus their "allure" to many shooters, me included. I do believe Hercules powders vary greatly from lot to lot, by comparison to other brands.
Vitavouri powders are as uniform as any out there and most 6PPC shooters can tell you that for years vv133 was so uniform that they routinely noticed no difference at all from lot to lot and we're talking about shooters here that measure aggregate groups in the .000's.
The Hogdon Extreme powders are simply less sensitive to temperature and humidity changes and the short cut versions are simply more consistent in powder charges when being either thrown or measured.

So, to me Hercules RL's are like a drug addiction. I had a 6mm/284 that with RL22 gave me an honest 3,560 fps with excellent accuracy with the Sierra 105 gr. VLD- for about five hundred rounds; then the throat was gone!

Hope this helps,

Gene So

I think I'll have to agree with evey point that Gene made. The same has been my experience over the years also. RL powders do provide good accuracy and velocity but are temp sensitive and vary from lot to lot. I know that from personal experience.
The VihtaVuori powders are good powders also. There isn't a lot of load data out there readily available for these but I have found them to be super accurate in my rifles. I think that the "500" series of these powders are double-based. I have experience with VV133 and 560.
I think that the IMR powders are also temp sens. It would be nice if Hodgdon could alter the recipe's enough to make them "extreme" but change nothing else! I get great velocity and accuracy from them also. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.