Rings?

Browning Boy

Hey guys, I'm not sure what a guy should use for rings. I've got a 25 minute EGW pic rail on the way, not sure what rings to use. A buddy of mine is saying to go with the TPS for around a hun and a quarter. Is there anything else out there that will work just as good for less cake? I appreciate his opinion, but he's got more money tied up in his toys then I've got in mine. I like the best bang for the buck if ya know what I mean. I'm working on a scope with a 42 mil obj. With this in mind should I use medium rings?

Thanks in advance!

Burris Xtreme Rings

I really like the burris xtreme rings, they are on midway usa for app. $50 for the set, they are as strong as can be.

I got these from a smith that does a lot of business on this site, he recommended them (and built my rifle that uses them). He was/is spot on, these are super. The only complaint that I can see someone having would be that they are very big, if you use them on a scope without a lot of scope tube, or eye relief, that could be an issue (you might have to crawl up the stock to look through the scope if that was the case). I am using these with a 4.5x14x50 Ziess, and they work great/no issue.

That being said, if you wanted to go with a smaller profile, the Seekins rings are out of sight quality wise, I am using a pic rail from Glenn, and the machining of the rail is perfect (and I mean that - perfect), I am sure if I had used his rings they would have worked just as well. Plus, Glenn is a great guy to do business with, very personable, he took 30 minutes of his time over two separate phone calls to address my custom action requirements, that is customer service no one could find fault with.

My 2 cents.

EZ

+1 to sniperVLS.

If you're using a 42mm objective the low rings should work fine.

I have mediums on a 56mm NF and there is plenty of room between the bell and the barrel (almost to much).

I suggest Seekins. They're reasonably priced and very strong and light. I'm switching everything over to them. And especially in your case with an aluminum rail they'll be easier on it--not just because they're aluminum, but because the "cross bolt" portion of the rings extends far deeper into the slots than many other brands which greatly increases the area of contact between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.