Ring height for a NF 5.5-22x56mm with a new barrel?

BornOutdoors

Hey everyone, I am currently building a long range setup with a remington 700 sps ss in .300 with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm scope, I'm going to re-barrel my rifle with either a contour #10 with a muzzle diameter of .930 or a contour #17 with a muzzle diameter of .900 .. so when I re-barrel with my medium 1" Nightforce rings that i have installed on it, is my scope going to have enough clearance? Any help is appreciated!

How much clearance do you have now between the objective bell and the barrel? If it's a decent amount (say .2" or so) then you should have enough clearance with the new barrel. The difference in diameter between the factory barrel and the heavier barrel isn't going to be as much at the objective bell as it will at the muzzle. The only way to know for sure is wait until it's rebarreled and see if it fits, but my hunch is that it will. FWIW, your nightforce rings are 30mm, not 1" if you're using them with the 5.5-22x56

My build has a heavy palma barrel and I used medium (.885) badger ordnance rings with a 50mm objective! The bikini cover barley fits on the scope now, but I have clearance. If I would have went up to the 56mm objective, I would have had to get the 1" high rings. Nightforce' medium rings are 1" where badger' medium rings are .885. As per nightforce, a 56mm will fit on a sendero taper with a 20moa base.

Sorry I should of clarified by saying I have the 30mm - 1.00" Medium rings, But thank you guys for the info, greatly appreciated!
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.