Rifle for Older Guy with a Bad Neck....

Indeed. We don't reload but we will make sure to burn up some factory stuff figuring out what it likes and then getting to learn the rifles capabilities. Can't wait. He can't either.

Indeed. We don't reload but we will make sure to burn up some factory stuff figuring out what it likes and then getting to learn the rifles capabilities. Can't wait. He can't either.
Dont miss a chance to try some Norma Golden Target match ammo when you and your dad start looking for a good target load. The 130s shoot lights out for me. Sub half MOA on a pretty regular basis.

My father is having some neck issues that he's currently working through with his doctors. C3 / 5&6 are being a real pain in the ---
He currently has the following options:
5) Seeing as how we love guns should he buy a 6.5cm or a 7-08 or the like and use the neck as an excuse to buy something new?
6) Put the 7wsm or 308 in a different stock with adjustable comb/lop so he can really dial in his head vs. a stock pad

Fire away.

I had my C5/6 disk replaced 3 years ago, and suffered for almost 5 years before the replacement surgery...so I am speaking from experience.

Buy a 25-06, and look at loading up some 115 Noslers Partitians. Minimal recoil and excellent downrange performance that is greater than you would expect from the caliber.

I had the opportunity to test run 7mm-08, .243, and .308...but the hands down winner for me was the tried and true 25-06.

I had my gunsmith put together a 7lb Model 700, and it has become one of my all-time favorite rifles, taking deer, pigs, and a 1 shot elk that never took another step.

Since my successful surgery 3 years ago, I can comfortably shoot any caliber again...but my 25-06 will probably never get sold because of how easy it was on my neck when I really hurt.

MQ1

Easy answer is the lightest one you currently have that will have the energy at 300 for Deer.....or build a superlight with or without break....life is short....get what you want/need .......

Don't overlook the venerable 6.5x55 and 7x57 Mauser rounds. Mild recoil, easy on the shoulder, and both great on deer to about 300 yards. .243 and 6mm Remington both great too. Even the 25-06 would do nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.