retumbo/300winny/berger168?

Driller54

Is anyone loading retumbo in 300 win mag using the 168 grn berger vld? If so what your starting load. Berger once emailed me a load diagram and when I loaded the retumbo charge and seated the bullet I was crunching powder. Called berger and hogdgens and neither would be of any help.sorry can't remeber the load berger suggested.

Retumbo is probably too slow a powder for that light of bullet. I'd look at the 4350 type powders for that weight if it was me. RL22, which isnt even as slow as Retumbo is a compressed load at max loadings. According to the Nosler #6 manual, a 4831 powder is around 97% load density at max. Its just not a big enough boiler room to use retumbo IMO.

I'm using h100 now and I can clover leaf 4 rnds in 100yds. I am also usin retumbo with my 7mm mag and it works pretty good I can keep all but 1 rnd out of six cuttin eachothers holes also shooting 168 grn berger. Was hopin to use the same powder for both but foremost was wondering the difference? Like I said I asked the experts but to no avail.

H1000 is a slow powder, but Retumbo is much slower yet, and as a generalization, the slower the powder, the more powder you must use to attain results. The more overbore the cartridge is, the slower the powder you should run. This is all generalizations, and theres exceptions to most rules, except safety. In the case of the 300 win, it doesnt need all that slow of powder to respond well. IMR4350 is what I load in the wife's 300win, and I am getting good results. My 7mm rem mag I am using retumbo, but I may start trying H1000. My 300RUM, I use retumbo in it, and it wants alot of it. Also lighter bullets usually like a faster powder then heavier bullets. H4831 is probably the slowest you need for that gun, and thats a step faster then H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.