Reporting in From Boise ID

RockyMtn Rutt

Hello there everybody!!

I must say this is a wonderful forum and website from what I have seen so far. I have been looking into building a long range/1000 yard rifle for the past couple months now and finally have the money to start it. But it seems like every search I have come up with brings me to these forums and has provided a wealth of information.

A little about me

Since I can remember I have had a gun in my hands and enjoys the outdoors in some kind of way. When I was 5 I can remember my dad asking me if I wanted to shoot his 12ga and of course I said yes I didn't know any better. Well lets say after that shot (out of a semi with 2 3/4) I new what a 12ga was capable of doing. Also, I was hooked from there on out and have shot many different calibers and animals. I would have to say my favorite animal to hunt would be elk and the most challenging would be muleys (bucks). I have shot a lot of both but have yet to find a 300+ or 160+ that I could put on the wall or better yet on the ground. I have seen them but hunting isn't the easiest thing in the world.

One main reason I am here is to find out more information on building a long range 300 weatherby off a mark V action that I just picked up.

I know a 700 is probably better to build off of but I didn't want to take my 300 H&H apart and didn't want to shell out the money for one either. And I happened to come across a 300wby mark V german made for a steal.

I will be reloading for the gun, I plan on getting a Lilja barrel, trigger, stock, scope, and break. I also plan to have the action bedded and blue printed.

If anyone has any great info they are willing to share I am all ears!!

Gun Build:
.300wby
Mark V action
28 in Lilja Barrel (do I need to go longer? also what contour?)
Timney/ or jewel trigger
Bell & Carlson stock (would like a mcmillan but to pricey)
Leupold scope (would like a vx6 but not going over $1k)
Vias break

I know this is a super long first thread but if you have made it this far thanks in advance for the patience and time regarding this matter. Please let me know anything that I have missed or that may help.

Thanks for the warm welcome WyoElk sounds like you got the best of both worlds. A little bit of ID and Wyo....lucky dog. Weiser isn't bad at all from what I know and I hear there is some pretty good whitetail hunting to be done around there....maybe even muleys out south?

If u r simply replace the original 300 wby bbl with a custom one I'd seriously consider working up some stout 180 grain loads and see how she does.

LRH is all about the POI of the first cold bore shot. The pencil thin WBYs I have shot were quite good at that.

Lack of patience while working up loads was my down fall. When done right the stock rifles would reach out and touch.

Note, that was way back when 700 yds was LR for me.

Just sayin. . .

Thanks Gary and Roy. And yes I am going to work on a 180 load with my dad, and also probably a lighter one like 168 berger for target shooting. He wants me to start shooting palma and f-class but I don't really want to start until I have a gun that shoots and have had a lot of practice out @ 1000yards. It sounds like I will have to start logging the cold bore and figure how my guns shoots once I get it done. I appreciate the tips

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.