Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Expecting too much?

ngodwetrust21

I am new to long range shooting and reloading. I am seeking the advice of the community who got me started in my long range rifle projoct. I have a remington 700 chambered in 308. The upgrades I have made include: a jewel trigger set to 2lbs and a bell and carleson medalist light tactical rifle with aluminum bedding and a free floating barrel. The barrel of the rifle is a stock 26 inch remington as well as the action. I am shooting a SMK 175 gr seated .015 off the lands with COAL of 2.90 and 4.1 gr of varget powder.

My questions.

1. The rifle is shooting 1 to .25 inch groops at 200 yards. Are there any other upgrades I can do to my rifle to make it more accurate or am I expecting too much with what I am working with?

2. Can I use the SMK 175 gr to hunt deer?

3. What upgrades can I make to this rifle that will improve my accuracy aside from purchasing a new barrel, action, or bolt?

Thanks,

Andy

4.1gr Varget ain't much powder

(1) 1" at 200 consistently is pretty good.
.25" at 200 is excellent.
unless you're competing, I'd spend my time and money shooting and not worry with gadgets

(2) many do.
I have had some success, but haven't used SMKs a lot for hunting

(3) see #1

Sounds like a great shooter. Enjoy it. Buy another rifle to mess with.

-- richard

yeah, unless there was a typo up there, sounds fine to me. Of course, I'm a hunter not a bench rest shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.