Rem 700 pss

shootinfool

I was wondering if anyone knew the life expectancy of a factory barrel in the rem 700 pss's in 7 mag. I have logged only 358 rounds into this barrel but I have only had the gun since Aug 10, 2007. Once this barrel goes to crap, what would you guys recommend putting on this gun?

The 7mm mag should get 1000 rounds easly if its not abused to bad , I have heard of guys getting over 2000 before the accuracy goes down hill , and the accuracy factor is a big part of how long it'll last , if it shoots 1/2" now and it opens up to 5/8" and you think thats not good enough then it may be less than 1000 rounds , but if 1.5" groups are ok then you may get 2000+.

As for the caliber that all depends on what your wanting the gun to do , do you want to punch paper at 500yds or shoot elk at 1000yds? The curent caliber you have is a great round and will take deer out to 1000yds if the accuracy is good with the right bullet. Any of the regular mags like the 300 win , 338 win , 264 win and any of the wildcats off of those cases will work with no mods to the action , you can step up to the Ultra mags with some minor action work like opening the feed rails and bolt face adding a Wyatt's box would be a good idea to.

a 25-300 win mag with a 28-30" barrel , 1-8 twist shooting the heavy for caliber Wildcat bullets would make a good long range paper and deer gun , using good quality brass from Lapua you could probably make 100 rounds last the life of the barrel. If your wanting a bigger hammer for longer shots on bigger game like elk then a 338 Edge or 338 Lapua or the wildcats off of the big RUM or Lapua cases would be a good place to start.

but most of all you have one hell of a good base to start with and it should be an accurate gun , get some 160-180 class match bullets and see what she ikes to eat then start shooting so you can wear out that barrel and help support one of our great smiths here.

the gun is preforming flawlessly right now. I shoot the 168 gr berger bullets and it loves those bullets. I am currently shooting .5 inch, 5 shot groups at 100 yds, consistantly. I have punched paper out to 750 with sub moa accuracy but have not had time to go to the spots that I have space to shoot farther than that. I am happy with the gun as it sits but am a little concerned that I will shoot the barrel out way to fast. I will not accept anyting that is not sub moa as good accuracy, I just expect more from my weapons. I have to add that even though these guns come with the aluminum bedding blocks, I have had the pillars and the action bedded by a smith and also had the action hand lapped and trued up by my smith also. I had the trigger pull lowered to about 1.7 pounds and had it pollished so that it is very crisp and clean. I try to do all that I can to have the gun preforming to it's full potential. So far I love the gun and am not looking forward to having to replace the barrel and take a chance on something else. Thanks for your responce and am still looking forward for some more oppinions all of the other very knowledgable persons on this forum. thanks again james.

I had the first generation Sendero in 7 Mag and got between 1500-2000 rds through the barrel before I noticied anything funny. Accuracy was still sub-.5" when I traded it for the 700P (same caliber) that I have now. Accuracy was great, most of the time, but it started "throwing" a shot every now and then. I could have lived with that at the range but not on a animal. Seemed like the barrel started loosing compression. If that's possible! Over time, velocity started dropping, even when known loads were used. The first 12-14" of the barrel were really rough and it became increasingly harder to clean. I assumed it was heat cracks. Tried JB Bore products but didn't help any that I saw. Through all that it still shot better than some of the newer rifles I was shooting/sighting in/reloading for at the time.
What powder/primer/brass are you using with that 168gr Berger? Haven't found anything other that the 140gr TSX that mine likes so far. I really had hopes of finding an accurate load with a heavier match bullet for LR targets/an-e-mules.

I use 64.9 grains of 7828ssc with a federal lmr primer. I would use the fed gold primers but I cannot find any. I also push the seating depth .004 into the lands and grooves. You shouldn't do this unless the gun has been trued up. It is also not recomended for a hunting gun, as it may result in a bullet stuck in the barrel if you chamber a bullet and not shoot it. That hasn't happened to me but I wouldn't want it to.

I also have a good load for the 168 gr sierra matchking. It is 65.4 gr of 7828ssc with the federal lmr primers. I don't know the specific overall length but would be happy to look it up when I get home if you would like. They were shooting about half moa. I chose the berger bullets for the VLD's higher ballistic coefficient, other than that it was an excellent load for the rifle.

Shootinfool,
I just happen to have some 7828 (albeit IMR original) that I can try. A whole can that's set around for at least a year now. Just have to get some Bergers ordered in. Will do that now!....thnx....JohnnyK.

jonnyk,

Let me know how it works out. It was recommended to me by walt berger to try the retumbo powder also as it is a favorite of the 7mag shooters. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.