reloading for 300 blackout sub

popeye

Ive been thinking about venturing into the .300 Blackout.
Has anyone tried a Hammer bullet or something similar for the .300 blackout for subsonic loads?

For hunting? You want a Maker 200 gr REX (or heavier if you have the right twist). They are specifically made to expand at subsonic velocity. Hammers won't and that's just by design, they need more velocity. Lehigh makes a 194 gr expanding subsonic projectile that has good reviews for hunting.

I've had good luck with the 220 gr Nosler custom comp (buy factory seconds when able). I haven't had the chance to hunt with the Makers yet but plan to use them for die whitetail next year.

As @waspocrew said above hammer is outta the question for subs. If you want to go super they do make a 101grn for the blkout. I picked up some factory seconds 220 grn for plinking and currently am using the 190 Hornady Sub x if I'm hunting with it.
If you don't mind lead check out outlaw bullets. I use their 530 grn fracturing bullets in my .458 SOCOM.

Ryan

The Maker bullets are where it's at. I'd even skip the Hornady Sub-X, no comparison in expansion. The Makers open into nice all copper flowers. I use the 180s in my Blackout because the 200s wouldn't fully stabilize. Have not expansion tested one of those, but I built a bolt action 458 SOCOM specifically for the 500gr Maker bullet. Shot it into milk jugs, the first two were completely destroyed and it stopped in the 5th as a nice flower. I didn't get a chance to shoot a deer with one yet but given that test I'm fully confident in them.

Typical results. All deer have been pass through

Thanks

Buck

Attachments

• 059C6F44-A74E-4ED4-91AE-E419765750B6.jpeg
    059C6F44-A74E-4ED4-91AE-E419765750B6.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 22