Redneck scope choices

fatjake

Debating on a Viper hst 4-16 or a VX3 4.5-14 (30mm) with a cds and a side focus

I plan on shooting out to 800yds but I'm not super slick on mil or mrad
I figure I will have Kenton build me a turret and it will get me out to 800 just on one revolution on a 200yd zero with a 6.5x284

Maybe someone give me some guidance

Can't realy help you on the scope because I have no experience with either one, but I have researched the crap out it and I will go with the hst when I can afford it. As far as custom turrets from Kenton industries, have you seen the custom turret system. Looks prety cool. Check it out. Not sure if we can post website links her but just google "custom turret system"

Debating on a Viper hst 4-16 or a VX3 4.5-14 (30mm) with a cds and a side focus

I plan on shooting out to 800yds but I'm not super slick on mil or mrad
I figure I will have Kenton build me a turret and it will get me out to 800 just on one revolution on a 200yd zero with a 6.5x284

Maybe someone give me some guidance
I have the viper hst on a .308 that I'm currently working on getting out to 1k with on targets. I also used it to harvest a cow elk this fall at ~350yds. It is the best glass I own, but is also the most expensive by a ways. I mounted mine in a 20moa mount and can theoretically reach 1200yds before I have to hold over in the reticle. I would buy another one, you can get them with either mil/mil or moa/moa. The zero stop works pretty well too, you just have to remove the elevation turret and drop a couple shims under it.

I can't talk about the Leupold as I have no firsthand experience with anything other than the vx1 series glass, fwiw. I was pretty sold on them until I stumbled upon Vortex a couple years ago. I've heard you can get better quality for your $ from Vortex though.

Check out Nikon at the price point and have them do the turret for you.........gun).........................................:)

You do not need to order a special turret. Use the MOA turret that comes on the scope. Use the money you save to bump your scope purchase up to the next level.

fatjake,

For that kind of money I would look for a Leupold VX-6 3-18X. Better glass than either and you get order a cds if you want. All have fantastic warranty. Something I don't like to take advantage of.

You may want to check out a SWFA SS 10x at $299. It is a very solid optic, the milquad reticle is excellent and the turrets are very repeatable. Buy a seekins rail and rings with the money saved.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.