Recovered 200 barnes Lrx from 300 win mag

biggdawg

Just got back from my african safari and thought i would share the one barnes 200 lrx the Skinner's recovered from a gemsbok I shot at 300 yards full frontal. It hit 1/2 inch left of center just below the nose. he went less than 25 yards and pliled up.

the barnes 200lrx performed flawlessly the whole trip. i was pushing these at 2948 at 1000 feet so at 4000 ft they were in the 2980 range.

the gun was a 700 adl with 26" barrel, Boyd's light weight thumbhole varmiter stock pillar beded topped with a vortex pst 6-24x50. running norma cases with 74gn of H1000

edited to add weight of the bullet was 199.9 grains so it looks to have only lost the blue tip.

Not possible, copper does not perform!

Just kidding of course. Congratulations!

I support use of non-toxic projectiles. That does not mean I support anti's stupidity and lying about "protecting Condors".

Impressive ballistics report there biggdawg ... thanks for the info.
What's gemsbok taste like (please don't say "it tastes just like chicken" :D)
I'd expect it to taste like our prong horn ... is that close?

Impressive ballistics report there biggdawg ... thanks for the info.
What's gemsbok taste like (please don't say "it tastes just like chicken" :D)
I'd expect it to taste like our prong horn ... is that close?

never had prong horn but it tasted great, one of my favorites there, not gamy at all.

springbok was also very good.

the one guy with me said it was similar to prong horn but not as strong.

Hard to argue with performance like that. Nice gemsbok too, congratulations!

I took 22 animals with the 300 wm and 200 lrx with ranges from 180 yards to right at 500 and only 3 took more than one shot and that was shot placement not the bullet. They were devastating on the game, none of the springbok moved after shot and only 1 out of 6 gemsbok went more than 25 yards.

one gemsbok it at 320 yards it broke both shoulders took out the heart and lugs and push the bones out on the other side.

they are my only hunting bullet i will use in my 300, they worked well in the 6.5-284 also.

"i was pushing these at 2948 at 1000 feet so at 4000 ft they were in the 2980 range"

Elevation has nothing to do with muzzle velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.