Recoil Pad for 1980s era Rem 700 ADL?

entoptics

Hoping you guys can help me find a cheapish solution for a replacement butt pad for an 80s manufactured Remington 700 ADL (long action if that matters). Obviously I'm aware of slip on jobs, and "grind to fit", but the stupid stock has a curved wood butt. Slip on = too long, "grind to fit" = flat mounting surface.

It doesn't have to be a beautiful seamless fit (heck, the OEM one isn't). I just want something that's squishy and modern, and not too fugly. The diamond lattice OEM pad is pretty much terrible.

This is actually for my bro-in-law's rifle. I'm not recoil sensitive, and it doesn't bother me much (shot 30 rounds prone today with no issues), but he's a bit of a flincher, and doesn't shoot that much.

I mostly dialed in his gun, but no matter how good it shoots, he's gonna be the weak link. If I can dial back the bite a little, it would really help him. For perspective, it thumps CONSIDERABLY harder than my 300WM Savage LRH.

For cheap, all that comes to mind is the slip-on. The grind to fit requires someone who "knows how". You-Tube might show you how if you have a few tools and can use them, but a decent pad is still $35-$40.

It's a 30-06. The load it likes is a 178 ELDX @ 2795 fps.

I didn't come across any "grind to fit" that are for the curved butt end. I'm handy enough to grind to fit, though I definitely don't want to try cutting off the wood to leave a flat surface.

$30-$50 would be acceptable money.

To have the same LOP the stock would have to be cut. Most 'smiths charge $40-$45 to cut the stock, seal it, and grind the pad to fit. Grand total usually ends up around $80-$90.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.