Receiver to stock- how tight?

Perkules

Spent some of my precious .338 300 grain Matchkings today because I moved the scope a little and also wanted to re-zero my TRG-S for bipod use. For some reason I also seriously over-tightened all the bolts that keep the thing together. About a quarter turn each,they already were quite tight.

This light TRG-S varies a lot,depending on the support I use plus it has (had?) a bedding problem (probably?) so the POI keeps drifting. Or it used to. 30 F today.

Anyway,after some fouling offhand shots (no more moly in the barrel) I looked for an approximate zero point ,using my car as a support and a Harris bipod,standing. Found the spot, fired three rounds from 130 meters.

TRGtightenedgroup.jpg

I was able to repeat this for several more similar targets but my bullet supply is getting low... no, it WAS getting low because I just received a package,15 minutes ago. Thanks again,Dave!
smile.gif

Can it be just the loose bolts? Hell,these are so tight now, I´m almost scared -but this is the real way a healthy TRG-S shoots.

Ideas? 170 rounds through this,only moly at first. Just when I decided to check the bedding,everything is fine. Less than 1/2" inch three shot groups from 130 meters,Harris bipod, can´t complain.

Poor deer.
grin.gif

In my experience, 3 shots isn't nearly enough to test a POI shift. Try at least 10 shots if you've had problems before. Good luck.

How's the weather in Finland? Our deer season opens this Saturday and the temperatures today are too high...63 degrees F.

Thanks,I definitely will.

The thing is,it used to drift all the time within an INCH with just a few rounds! Then stop drifting for a while etc... anyway:

Before I go hunting tomorrow,if the FIRST round at the range is where it´s supposed to be (I won´t clean the barrel big time tonight) I feel I´m going to the right direction. The problem was always a sideways drift,first one being okay.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.