Rebarrel suggestions for Rem 660?

metau

I have a Remington 660 chambered in 308 that I am thinking about getting rebarreled. I would prefer to start out a whole new gun project, but this I could afford. Does anyone have any suggestions for how or what to rebarrel this with? Should I stick with the current countour as it is allready free floating? Is it worthwhile to do a complete rebuild off of this action? Basically, I am just looking to increase accuracy and maybe some range at this time. Thanks for everything.

Jerry

I have built several custom rifles based on your action. I would stay in a short cartridge. I would personally go to the 7/08 in a custom 22" barrel. Most 660 have a stout barrel contour now, so you could match it or ??. Ask your gunsmith. A better barrel and some blueprinting will make a better gun. Also, rebuild your trigger or go to an aftermerket trigger. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I actually would like to stay with a 308 entirely for this rifle. I do not have a gunsmith and am unsure of exactly what you mean by it having a stout barrel and matching it? What all does blueprinting involve? I am sorry for not knowing too much, but that is why I am here and asking. I am not trying to do a complete build off of this rifle, that much I do know. I am just trying to get accuracy out of it once again as I know it has had at least 12,000 through it(almost 2,000 on my part and 10,000+ from the guy I bought her from). Or would I just be better off(cheaper) buying a new factory gun to get the accuracy I am seeking? Thanks.

Jerry

Just what level of accuracy are you looking for?

You could pick up a .308 bolt action sporter in a variety of manufactures that would shoot ~ 1 MOA and cost around $500.

If you could find a fresh .308 660 takeoff, many smith's would probably screw it on for a reasonable price, getting you comperable accuracy. However, your chances of finding that barrel are quite slim.

You could have it simply rebarreled with a custom tube, without a full blueprint, and probably hope to shade 1/2 MOA, provided the rest of the platform is sound. Should be able to do this for $350 - $450, and many smiths could handle the work.

Lastly, you could have one of the smiths which frequent the board (or a number of other accuracy minded shops) true the action and install a topflight tube. Most will guarantee 1/2 MOA, and often deliver better. This would cost a bit more than a basic rebarrel, and could involve a wait, depending on your smith of choice (smith's develop a waiting list for a reason, hint).

If ~ 1 MOA accuracy is enough for you, a new gun is going to be the cheapest route, especially if you sell yours to fund it.

I am not looking for BR accuracy as I am just a hunter for now. I thought about just finding a takeoff barrel, but have only been able to find m700 barrels so far. Is this something that I can substitute without any major modifications? Or do I have to find a 660 barrel? Also, I have come across the opportunity to pick up a houge pillar bedded overmold stock for a SA rem m700 bdl for less than $100 brand new. Will my receiver fit this stock? Or should I just pick it up and hope to do a build off of it some day? I do not want to spend too much money as it is very tight right now, but want more than what I have right now.

Jerry

edit-I just found out this afternoon that I can get my hands on a Rem M700 sps in 300winmag w/detachable box magazine from the factory for $452 out the door tomorrow. It was a special order for a customer who changed his mind(said he didn't want the box mag), and for some reason they cannot or won't return it. The boss knows that I have been in the market for a new rifle, and has offered me the rifle first if I want it. Should I take it?

Thats not a bad deal. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the detachable mag. You would only be able to swap into other detachable mag stocks, which are much rarer, and I don't believe you can convert the reciever to traditional adl/bdl setups either.

Also, if you've shot out a .308 barrel, it sounds like you shoot at a high enough volume that you would notice how much more expensive the .300 mag is to feed, and how much more quickly the barrel is wore out.

Thanks for the input on the detachable mag. I see your point. As for the volume of my 308, I have only put about 1500-2000 rounds through it myself, mostly right after I got it. The guy I bought it from 2 years ago made a conservative guess at 10,000 rounds through it by him and his family. Now that I hunt and not just plink around, I am much more concerend about accuracy and will not shoot out my next barrel less than two years. I also realize that it would be more expensive to load for, but I am also looking at picking up a 223 for my high volume plinker. Thanks again.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.