Reading or RCBS

RangerBrad

I am loading berger VLD's for a 25-06 using RCBS dye's and would like to know yals thoughts on using the Reading micrometer dye. After watching Shawn Carlock's reloading video I was impressed with being able to remove the sizing ball and using the micrometer to set ogive oal. I am really trying to make premium rounds and would like yal's input. Thank's, Brad

The Reading Comp seating dies are the best out there in my opinion. I had one for my 308 and I also have one for my lapua. They also have a micrometer that you can purchase to turn a standard die into an inexpensive precision die that is what I did to my 300 wsm seating die. The comp dies are more money but are well worth it. Once you try them you'll ask yourself why you waited so long. If you are using different bullets you can record the micrometer setting and then move on. When I first got into reloading a long time ago I only used RCBS dies because they were what I could get in stores near me. A couple years ago I tried the reading dies and was impressed with the quality vs. the RCBS. I have since replaced just about all my RCBS dies with Reading dies. That's my $.02…

Does RCBS or Hornady make something comparable? My reloading dealer found one from RCBS that's called the Gold medal dies I believe. I would like something that I could be exact about bullet seating and be able to remove the expander ball so I could have better run out on my cases. Brad

With Redding you can order a VLD specific seating stem so that it fits the long slender design of the bullet correctly. I am not sure with RCBS but would think others have this available.

RCBS does offer something similar to the reading comp dies. I don't think the quality is as good but should do the trick for you. They are much more precise and do spead up things a little. Good luck with wich ever you choose to go with. Do make sure if you are using VLD bullets you do get a seating stem for them if not it could damage the meplat I found this out the hard way with the 300gr OTM's. I got the VLD stem and it's all good now. Happy reloading!!

With Redding you can order a VLD specific seating stem so that it fits the long slender design of the bullet correctly. I am not sure with RCBS but would think others have this available.

^^^ This. I can't recall either, if RCBS or Lee, or Forster or... offers a VLD bullet seater, but Redding does. I started just like everyone else, with off the shelf RCBS 2-die sets, because that is what was on the shelf. Do they work? yup... Do I "feel" Redding dies are better? Yup:D Overall quality seems better, & feel (perceived or not) through the press stroke feels better as well...?

RCBS does offer micrometer seaters IIRC, but if their traditional dies are any indication, Redding mics will be of better quality as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.