• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Re drilling a recoil pad?

matt_3479

I bought a browning A-bolt FLD in a 300. wsm. I bought a Limb saver recoil bad that said its suppose to fit A-bolt wood. So i took mine off and put the limbsaver on and i misplaced my original recoil pad. The problem with this is the limbsaver doesn't fit properly. The holes in my stock and the holes in the pad dont line up. Can i re drill the pad to line up. Someone told me to re drill the stock but that just seems stupid. What should i do?

Drill out the original stock holes to 1/4 inch. Glue a 1/4 inch piece of wooden dowel into the hole. Line up the recoil pad and redrill the holes. If you don't want to wait for the glue to dry and depending how far the holes are off you can use drywall anchors. In that case line up the pad drill the holes stick the anchor in with a little glue and tighten the pad onto the stock. Either way is better than drilling the recoil pad.

I agree. plugging the holes in the stock and re-drilling is the better way to go. you will likely need to grind the pad to get a perfect fit as well. if you do, install the pad and then tape the stock so you can grind (best with an orbital sander or a stand type disk sander) until you make contact with the tape. then you will need tom remove the pad and do a bit more sanding. then you can shine up the pad with a thin coat of clear finish.
Dano