Range Shooting

What is the preferred way to shoot at the range. Tripods with back bag, Front adjustable rest with rear bag, lead sled, one big bag, front bag and rear bag, other? Usually use adjustable front rest and rear bag. Tried bull bag but didn't feel good, and with rear bag and front bag can't seem to get front of rifle high enough with front bag. Any input appreciated.

I've got sleds, rests, bipods, tripods, a mono-pod, field pod, sticks, et al. My preferred set up is shooting off a pack or range bag with a rear bag. Simplicity, no need to haul a lot of gear you won't use.

What is the preferred way to shoot at the range. Tripods with back bag, Front adjustable rest with rear bag, lead sled, one big bag, front bag and rear bag, other? Usually use adjustable front rest and rear bag. Tried bull bag but didn't feel good, and with rear bag and front bag can't seem to get front of rifle high enough with front bag. Any input appreciated.
If I'm in load development, Bagged. If my rifle & load are tuned the way I want them bi-pod.

For load develoment and shooting for groups I use adjustable front rear and rabbit ear rear bag. When practicing for a hunt, I never use the bench as haven't found one in the woods to date. Here I practice with bi-pod mostly sitting and also standing with shooting sticks. Shooting prone is great when it's possible but as memory serves, majority of my western hunting shots have been sitting or standing. In Africa my experience was mostly standing with sticks, off-hand or using truck rack with no rear support.

I do not shoot competition anymore so I just use a bi-pod, my fist or a squeezable back bag. if I am really testing a heavy kicking magnum I normally grab my buddy's lead sled he leaves in my shop for me to test fire with. simple and easy for me. the lead sled is a bit more than I want to lug around all the time. later suckers.

IT depends - mostly bipod and rear bag. If I am at an indoor range, then usually a lead sled or the like . This is to get me on paper and close. The outside.

when I'm hunting my bean field from my elevated blind I find the Bull bag is the most versatile. Very fast to set up a shot. It is awkward at first but practice is immensely important. I do load development and practice on it. It really builds good habits to use one! If you can produce good results from a Bull bag your other ways of shooting will improve.

Im convinced Some types of rests encourage bad habbits that are hard to break....lead sleads are my pet peeve. I cringe when I see guys using them.
What is bull bag?

For load development (which is 95% of my shooting) I use a fully adjustable front rest with a rear bag. Once a final load is developed and I'm preparing for the hunting season I use a Harris bi-pod and typically shoot from a low sitting position.
Prone is better but when the shot presents itself I'm rarely situated where I can be that low and not have obstacles in my way/view.

What is bull bag?
20190601_170127.jpg
just kidding
20180131_091119.jpg

Depends:
1. cast iron bench rest-> sighting in a scope or new load (paper)
2. bipod & monopod-> practicing W/ my 6.5 CM RPR off a mat (steel)
3. cast iron bench rest-> shooting my hunting rifle (has no bipod)(steel or paper)

Eric B.

Last edited:
I am in the camp of shooting the same for every occasion. I hunt with a bipod so I do load development with a bipod.

I have a 100 meter range in my back yard and I will use a variety of positions offhand, prone both supported and unsupported, kneeling, sitting, bench with bags front and rear, standing supported such a against a tree or post, off back packs in different positions and forearm across a rail. My goal is to keep it real so in the field I can be confident when it counts. You may find a more comfortable or steady way at the range in any position that will make you fell steady and sure when it counts. If I am sighting in or confirming zero it will always be off bipod with rear bag or bench with sand bags.

I'm growing more fond of the "bull bag" when sighting in and checking for accuracy.
(The item I actually use is:Caldwell TackDriver Shooting Rest Bag; $33 'filled' from MidwayUSA)
upload_2019-6-3_10-40-41.png

The rifle and bag 'become one' and when lined up, it is easier for me to adjust the elevation without disturbing the gun itself. Also, the gun recoils in a straight line without coming off/out of the bag. It is 'repeatable' to use. It is steady. It allows the gun to recoil in a more 'natural' way (vs. a bipod which has no 'give' in the downward direction.)

I'd shoot off a bipod if I was going to use it in the field hunting though. Best to sight in and shoot the way you will when hunting. Once I'm sighted in using the "bull bag" I then fire a group with my hand under the forend (between rifle and bag) so I'M THE ONLY CONTACT on the rifle as that will be how I shoot it when hunting. I want to make sure the gun shoots to the same spot it shot from the bag itself. It almost always does. Almost. Every now and again, I need to make a small sight adjustment for a very light gun which 'behaves' a bit different in my hands vs. in the bull bag.

I've done front rest (sandbag "V" or "U" rest) and rear (sand)bag setup. It works fine. The reason I'm not using this setup as often now is the two bags (front/rear) are not connected and a hard-kicking rifle throws the whole setup off with each shot requiring too much fiddling around to get things lined up again for the next explosive event. Minor thing, but the "bull-type" bag just seems easier/faster and less 'fiddly' to me these days.

When at a range that allows it, I love to finish my shooting with some off-hand shots using the sling to see how far I can keep things inside a paper plate. Many times when hunting, the animal is suddenly there, has spotted you, and the shot needs to happen NOW. I like to KNOW I can make that shot when needed. Benches are great for sighting in and showing off small groups to your friends, but it's the off-hand shooting that really pays off once the sighting in is done.

Doh! I've got the bag and three of those platforms, in the garage. I made them to set my Harley on, to get an oil pan under it, without the lift being in the way. Next time I go to the range, I'll take one along with the bag. I really like that bag, even if it is heavy. Using it on a bench = zero tremor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.