Pt 1 & Pt 2 Pictures are Worth 1000 Words....

daniel brothers

A Picture is worth 1000 Words

PART 1....

First of all.... I AM NOT A WRITER...LOL... This is the first time I have ever tried writing something more than my name... I just found out that it's fun to write.
I got this idea about writing a story about someone's picture, after Tim Titus over in Predator Masters lost his Big write up about his hunt with these two coyote pictures below.

For kicks and giggles, I wrote my story version into his post, but wondered why we couldn't make up some more stories about these pictures or even start a thread with imagination about others.
Below is a copy of the post I put into his thread. I guess I'm getting carried away because I have already posted 6 parts to it so far, with more in my head to come.

I thought you Guys might find this interesting.... if so....let me know.... if not... let me know... thanks Guys... bare with me on Grammar... I was out of school the day they taught that.

DSCN2026_zps5372fe7c.jpg

DSCN2030_zps94d73be1.jpg

This was my idea to Tim....

Tim... how about making a story thread work backwards... like... you post a picture... then everyone takes a stab at writing their story of what happened. Kinda like everyone looking at a crime scene and giving their version.
For instance... take your two pictures above...

PART 1....

Well Guys, you won't believe what happened to me today. Last night I was looking over my maps and watching the weather channel to see what stands would be good for tomorrow's calling... but nothing looked exciting. I kept looking at that big 10,000 acre ranch right in the middle of my map area, and wondered how I could ever get permission to hunt that ranch, when nobody else in the area can either. That guy doesn't let anyone hunt, only his two UGLY DAUGHTERS. I've even entertained the idea of dating those girls for hunting access without my wife knowing it, but love for my wife and loss of my scrotum made me change my mind.

Right in the middle of folding up my maps, the phone rang, it was that rancher calling. I quickly thought.. Oh my, what did I do now.. I didn't really date his daughters... oh my.

He started in telling me that he had heard about my coyote hunting skills and reputation in the area, and that he had also heard that I had just gotten in my new silencer for my 220 Swift, and that killing coyotes up to a half a mile were always possible kills.

He then said... Tim, if you can kill these coyotes off my place, I'll give your permission on this ranch as well as the other two bigger ranches as well...AND.... you don't have to date my daughters... like I heard on the grapevine.
After catching my breath, I told him I'd be there in the morning. He quickly told me to come an hour earlier for breakfast and viewing of the ranch map.

I told my wife to go to bed because I would be staying up making arrangements with equipment... when it really was just that I couldn't sleep... and I'm not sure if I slept at all, but I was certain to be at the ranch door on time. Their lights were on, the smell of fresh coffee and bacon hit me at the door as it was opened by the two daughters, which NOW looked BEAUTIFUL and smelled delicious.

After an hour of looking at maps and being stuffed with every type of breakfast item ever made, it was time to leave... but not without their words of encouragement of success and their notification that lunch would be ready at noon.

I waddled out to the truck and drove a short distance towards the barn area for a quick set on the 5 dogs that harassed the new born calves. I quickly hung up the shockwave from it's braided lanyard made by a PM member, on a tree limb about 75 yds from my corral fence post setup.

I turned the remote to half volume with calf in distress. Within a minute I see a hard charger coming over the rolling hill top. I shifted slightly to the right with my stony point shooting stixs, and barked the big male to a stop for a easy tip over chest shot at 200 yds with those screaming 55 gr vmax bullets at 4000 fps. I sat there a few minutes in stunned disbelief and excitement that it was this easy to make a first impression.

My first thoughts were to get some pictures for the PM Members... so I get the coyote and set it up for a photo session, when at my final camera snap I see two more coming over the ridge. One of them stops on a hill top about 400 yds, while the other one holds up around the 300 yd mark. I knew that was as close as they would get, so I crawl around the big photo rock and setup for the kills. I range them both with my new early Christmas present... the Leica 1600, and knew they were within easy range of the Savage model 12 Swift without moving the scope turrets at all. The power setting on the Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP was on 12, which was my standard setting for these closer shots. I quickly centered the crosshair-dot on the closest dog that was now sitting and looking around. When the silenced savage broke the morning dew from the ragweed grasses in front of it's muzzle blast... the first dog just tips over as the other one stands up and turns broadside in confusion of it's partner's new position. I bolt another round into the smooth chamber, and settle the crosshairs on it's spine area, knowing it will drop 3 inches. After the muffled bark, the scope view reveals the coyote's new position as it was coping it's partner's.

I leave the caller and rifle in place as I head out to gather the two beautiful furred up dogs back to a new rock slab position near the first photo session area.
It was then that I noticed how fur friendly the Screamer was... barely a drop of blood anywhere... not that it really mattered anyways, since the wealthy rancher told me he'd also pay me $100.00 for every dead coyote...

WOW... WAS THIS HEAVEN....?

As I drive back to the ranch house porch with the 3 coyotes laying out on the tailgate, the Rancher and his two Super Beautiful Daughters greeted me with excitement as they ran down the front porch steps...
________________________________________________________________-

PART 2 ....

Their greeting and congratulations was incredible, you would have thought I was a long lost hero from a war, with all the hand shaking and back slapping... and the cheek kisses from the daughters.

They made me tell them the whole story over more coffee and strawberry jelly donuts before I was able to make another stand that morning.

I looked at the map and decided to go to stand #2, of what looked like to be a possible 100 stand sites across this one ranch. It was a windmill and water tank location, with a ton of coyote tracks in the soft mud around the overflowing tank. The only problem was that the brush was too tall for good viewing from the ground level. As I pondered the situation, I glanced up to the windmill and noticed that the opening for working on the windmill had a walking platform all around that upper level about 25 ft up. The light bulb in my head came on as I had just found my new hide. I quickly set the caller up about 70 yds away on a fence post... climbed up into my elevated position to the point of only allowing my upper body to protrude up through the opening as I stood on the latter... which made for a really stable rest as I laid my rifle on my fanny pack across the platform.

This new elevated view caught me off guard for a moment as the thick brush suddenly opened up into a vast and spacious setting. I knew the coyotes would be in trouble at this location. I turned the caller to half volume of Baby Bee Cottontail, and it wasn't long before movement catches my eye. My first thought was that it was a small coyote, but it turned into a grey fox. I started moving The Screamer into shooting positions when I noticed a big coyote running down the fence line towards the caller. I quickly turned back to it before it ran over the caller and spooked from human scent. Too late... he ran it over and caught the scent, but that millisecond of confusion caused it's demise as the walloped noise of impact pushed it into the barb wire fence.

I looked back at the fox, who was now in confusion as well, because it was running in circles trying to get away from the other 3 coyotes that came in from the east. Those coyotes might have been licking their lips at the easy catch of the fox, but I was chomping at the bit of rescuing it from it's vicious enemy. I quickly asset the situation and noticed the third dog back would stop now and then. The Vortex once again found it's hairy victim in it's bewildered pose, and down it went into a rear legged-tail shaking quiver. The silenced Savage broke up the chase, but not enough to scare them away. The coyotes looked dazed and confused as to whether or not they should run away or chase the fox some more. I helped them make up their minds as I sent another Vmax into the second dog as it stood broadside at the 250 yd area. The fox got so confused and scared that it actually ran right back into the first coyote, causing even more confusion to the whole situation. I think I even saw horror on the fox's face.

Just as it looked like the fox was getting caught by the hard charger, it flew over top of the barb wire fence like an Olympic Athlete. I guess the coyote thought he could do it too, but he slammed into the top two strands and bounced backwards onto the ground, but not without leaving some fur hung in the wire...his lack of athletic ability gave Mr. Grey a clean getaway. Not only was it free, but my trigger finger was also in the process of squeezing the 12 oz Rifle Basix for it's Quadruple kill shot.

After the Screamer barked and the Coyote yelped, all was quiet and calm for a moment, until I caught movement in the distance, but my 10x40 Zeiss Binoculars, revealed the fox heading towards California with it's tail on fire.

I turned the Shockwave off and soaked up the scenery for a few minutes, while mediating on the fast action that had just transpired.

Enough was enough Tim, wake up, it was time to gather up the 4 dogs that were scattered all over the place... it looked like a coyote bomb had just went off.

While in the process of putting on my fanny pack around my waist and slinging The Screamer over my shoulder, I noticed the two Daughters riding horses down a distant road, so I climbed up a little higher and waved my arms until they noticed me from my lofty perch. After seeing them waving back and turning their horses towards my position, I made a hasty retreat down the ladder... but being hasty was bad for me because my fanny pack came unbuckled and bounced down the ladder rungs, and hit the ground harder than I wanted.

I hurriedly gathered up the furred dogs to a corner fence post setting which would make for some pretty pictures for the PM Boys. I finally got them all hung up nice and neat on the top stand of wire, from small parachute cords around their mouths... leaned the Screamer against the post... hung my Binos and Fanny Pack on top... had it all set up... turned on the camera and NOTHING... NO COME ON... NO WORKY... NO PICTURES TODAY... because it didn't take that fall very good inside the fanny pack.

At first I didn't know whether to be mad or glad, until I realized that I had just made $700.00 in one short morning hunt.

What the heck...I'll go buy another one... a better one... at this rate...

I can buy... the BEST ONE.

PART 3 is Coming....

PART 3.

While putting the camera back into my fanny pack, I could hear the girls ride up with their loud OOOOOHHHHH's..... and AAAWWWEEEs at the coyote display. I started telling them about the action but they quickly cut me off and said to save it for lunch with Dad, because they all wanted a detailed story... and to get their camera from the house, and they would see me later because they had to go ride the fence line down along the ravine. I waved them goodbye and headed for my Chevy to load up the dogs for making a 7 dog picture at the Ranch.
It wasn't long before I was driving up to the large circle driveway in front of the ranch house. I noticed that Mr. Durham's Big Red Dually Dodge was gone, so I spent some time arranging the coyotes on the tailgate. I heard footsteps behind me and thought ... Oh my... here comes a ranch hand and I don't know how to speak Spanish. The laugh was on me because the closer he got, and the more he raised his hat up, I could see that he wasn't Mexican at all. His smiling face and near perfect English caught me by surprise as he poured over the display of coyotes in Awe. I told him a little bit of the story, but he was more interested about what I was going to do with them. I jokingly told him that he was welcome to them all, and he quickly accepted the offer with more smiles and hand shaking. Catching me off guard again, I asked, what will you do with them. He commenced into telling me that he was Vietnamese, and that he and his wife, and both of their families would love to make their favorite ancestral dishes with them.
My raised up eyebrows and shifting facial expression said one thing, while my voice said great, sure thing, there all yours and I can get you some more. He also said that he would save the skins for making me some extra money. I quickly told him that he could have them all and to make all the money he could from them. Now his smile became bigger than his face, so he added a lot of head nods with more hand shaking. About that time Mr. Durham drives up and develops a wide eyed expression of satisfaction and joy. I told him what the girls had said and he quickly told me to jump in, and that he would take me over to another ranch while we waited on the girls to return.
I told him about my conversation with his hired hand, and he was quick to express his appreciation for my friendly gesture towards this family, and began telling me a lengthy story about Tron and his family while we drove along.

He started out by first saying... Tim... Let me tell you a little story. My relationship with them started when I was stationed over in Nam back in 67. A few of my buddies and I were making our routine search in a secluded village for any new enemy activity. We had been through that area many times during my 2 year deployment, and usually all was calm in that area... but not that day. I guess we were getting too close to Charley this day because they hit us with their full force of fury. There were so many bullets in the air between our two forces, that it was as thick as the monsoon rains. We gave them Hell, but they gave it right back that day... not their usual hit and run. I could see my men on my right flank being hammered with some guys running out of ammo, and down to their side arms. I remember thinking in slow motion... WOW... we should have brought more ammo... which was a very obvious revelation as I watched the carnage spread out everywhere... and I too was down to my side arm.
My mind raced backwards to my childhood activities with family and friends, which were nice and peaceful for a moment… until the mortar rounds hitting my right flank shocked me back into reality. It was then that I saw my right leg thigh ripped open, and bleeding pretty bad from the shrapnel pieces… which also hit my helmet and the side of my face pretty hard.
I quickly grabbed my John Wayne scarf from around my neck and tightened it above the wound. Being out of ammo and badly wounded, I crawled into a clump of thick fern-like bushes. I must of past out because the next thing I remember was a local Vietnamese guy was shaking me awake. I wasn't sure of what he was saying, but he motioned me to crawl into his ox driven cart as he helped me to my feet. The ride back to his village was bumpy as the ox struggled to get through the narrow pathway of the jungle... but I was happy, because I was still alive...for now that is.
As we entered the tiny village I could hear the shouting and screams of angry and frightened people as Charley searched for missing Marines. I understood very little, but I did understand the words...USA... Americans... Marine...and Kill. Then all of a sudden I felt rifles with bayonets being thrust into the pile of debris on top of me. I knew the blades would pierce me any minute, but my new hero friend had piled the grasses and plants upon me so high that their blades couldn't reach me... except for the one that pierced my wounded leg a little bit... it was all I could do to stay quiet. I do remember letting out a muffled silent whimper into my helmet which laid across my face along the bottom of the cart in order to give me a breathing space through the cracks in the wooden floor.
It wasn't long before the voices subsided, and the cart started moving again. I must have passed out again because I later woke up to the sounds of helicopters and loud music, and the furious movements of being dug out from my ox cart hide.
After a few months of rehab recovery, I went back to that village with an interpreter to find my Hero. I couldn't believe my eyes as we faced each other in joyful glee, with many words.
After our joy subsided I was able to use my interpreter to thank him for his help from the deepest part of my heart, and to also tell him that I would do anything to help him and his family in any way. We sat there on the ground for a little while talking, arm waving and a lot of nodding of the head, when suddenly he jumped up and pulled his son and daughter-in-law over beside me and starting say... USA... take... USA... take... here danger... take...help... USA. My interpreter finally said... Sgt Durham, he's wanting you to take them to the USA. I told the interpreter to tell him that I would do everything in my power to take them to the USA. After a whole lot more of hand shaking, back patting, and a flood of words, we bid them goodbye with my promise to help them. After gathering information about them for the evacuation process, we headed back to base camp.
It took some time and a lot of paper work Tim, but it finally happened and what you see there is the son of my Hero, alive and well... and a legal citizen to boot. His Father would never come, but we were able to get a few more of his relatives into the Freedom of this Great Country.

And the crazy thing Tim about them eating coyote, is that they are welcome to all the wild game and cattle on my place, but they savor those dogs for some reason... I think it's partly because of their heritage, but mostly about rekindling past memories. So Tim, not only have you helped me out, but you have helped out my dearest of friends.
I turned my head to look out the side window so that he wouldn't see my eyes getting misty. He also told me there was no need to call him Mr. Durham... because that was his Dad... and all his friends called him Bull, which was a nickname he got in the bush for charging into troubled hot spots.
I said... Bull Durham... just like that movie that Kevin Costner did about baseball... what a good movie that was. Bull turned to me and said... Yeap.. pretty good movie...that was my story. I served with his Dad in the service and told him about my short baseball career... his writers embellished my story a little bit, but that was okay with me.
So you know Kevin Costner and his Dad...? Oh yes, they come and stay at the ranch now and then... I'll have you over to meet them the next time. They both love to hunt, and would probably go ape crazy about coyote hunting...I'll hook you guys up.
I didn't say much for the rest of the property tour, from being in shock... I think.
We finally get back to the ranch and grab Bull's camera, but the dogs were gone. Half confused and looking around I spotted Tron standing by the barn nailing up the last hide.
We all have a Big laugh with the girls as they ride up to the scene, because Tron didn't know about the picture thing... but that was okay with me because I enjoyed the action of the hunt... but too bad for the PM Boys...LOL.
Our laughter was broken as the house cook stepped outside onto the front porch and started banging on the triangle ringer for lunch. Bull slapped me on the back and said... Come on Tim... let's go get a bite of lunch.
PART 4 IS COMING....LOL..... it will have more hunting action in it..

Part 4….

After lunch I bid them goodbye with the information that it might be a couple of days before I could get back over here.

Bull was quick to say that the run of his places were now mine to enjoy, and that I should report my kill numbers… even wounded coyote numbers… to his secretary at the office down the road, so that she could mail me a check each week.

All I could say in my stunned stupor was, Thank You, and that he didn't have to do that…

but he insisted, with his final nail in the deal by saying that a Workman was Worthy of His Hire… and that there were no free rides around here… If you're shooting them… then you're helping me and mine.

It was a good thing that my Chevy knew its way home, because I don't even remember that ride back to my place… I would have missed a turn or two, but the steering wheel knew what it was doing better than I did because I was caught up in the video replay of my mind.

My Wife met me on the white steps of the front porch and instantly said…. What happened, you're as white as a ghost.

I was quick to tell her that all was good… better than good… unbelievably good, and that it was too much to tell at the moment, and that I'd take her out to dinner tonight and tell her the whole story… but for right now… I needed a nap.

Later that evening, and by the time we finished off our favorite meal of Shrimp Scampi and Lobster… and a full bottle of red wine… my wife was whiter than her napkin.

All she could say was… Honey, it ain't over yet, I've got an early, Red Wine, Birthday Gift for you tonight… which included her snickering smile.

NOW… I knew I was in HEAVEN.

A couple of mornings later, my headlights and I were slowly creeping along the rim of a promising looking ravine for the spot that looked good on the ranch map. The ravine broke off into several drainages, which made for great coyote travel corridors… it even had two barbwire fence lines crisscrossing in the bottom.

Knowing how coyotes love to run fence lines… I made sure my low profile turkey chair and shooting sticks were focused in that direction… especially since Mr. Shockwave was set up half way down there on a fence post.

I didn't have to play Bay-Bee Cottontail but a minute or so when I caught sight of a hard charger coming up the fence line to my right… with its two buddies lagging behind… which stopped around the 200 yd mark… while they watched their sucker buddy running at the caller and through the fence, and about losing his man hood on the barb wire.

I shifted Mr. Screamer over to the right until Mr. Vortex was lined up onto a Mr. Sucker, and it was then that Mr. Basix released a blazing Mr. Hornady Vmax into the now, tipped over Benjamin Franklin. Once again… Mr. Silencer didn't scare them out of the country, but the other two ran up the far side of the ravine and stop, while looking back and forth from the caller to their napping buddy… in a state of confusion. A moment of confusion will get you killed out here as the Screamer was already sending another round into another Benji.

The third one had enough and ran out of sight over the ridge line.

After a few minutes I woke up and realized that I hadn't activated the Shock Bang, and that Pup in Distress was not screaming.

I quickly made the handheld remote tell the caller to start screaming it out, and within a minute, Mr. 3rd Benji came up on top of the ridge line for a look-see.

Its distance made me take a quick check on Mr. Leica, which said… it was only a mere 377 yds. I only had a facing chest shot… but the absence of wind said to aim center mass of the throat and let her drop in.

It seemed like I was in Auto Mode, because I was jolted awake as another Vmax tipped over another $100.00 bill… AKA… Mr. Benj. I later found out that it had dropped 4-5" and hit center mass in the chest. The impact tipped it over so hard… I doubt that it even blinked its eyes.

After a few more minutes of calling without anymore Benjis arriving… I shut it all down… sitting in silence… milking the morning calm… and watched the glowing orange sunrise.

After soaking it up a little bit, I thought… Man… I wish I had one of those PM Boys here with me to go fetch all those fury victims… and drag them to the truck.

I had to chuckle as I realized that they were probably a lot like me… wanting to pull the trigger more than drag the critters…LOL.

I finally got them all arranged on the tailgate for pictures… got out my NEW camera… turned it on… looked into the view finder and saw it flashing….Insert SD Card. SD CARD…? What…? Tim…? You forgot to insert the SD Card and left it at home…. Probably the fault of having too much Birthday Cake the other night.

All I could do was simply shake my head in disbelief as I drove towards the Ranch House looking for Tron.

Along the way I pulled over, as Bull was driving my way and wanting to stop and talk. He said… You must have three of them, because I heard your shots.

After I smiled and told him a quick version on this morning's action,

he said…. Tim, I need a favor from you.

I thought…what?... you need a favor from me…?

As I sat there perplexed, he went into further detail.

He continued saying….

Since you will be running all over my ranch properties… and all my hands and neighbors will be confused as to who's truck it is on my property… it would help me out if you would take over this Red Dodge of mine and make it yours… and use it all the time… everywhere you go. I trade in trucks every three years and this one is due, but if you don't mind, I'd rather write if off to you as a business expense.

Get all your gas and repairs down there at Jackson's Gas and Garage, and they will charge it all to me as a Ranch expense. I was heading into town today to trade this one off for another Red Dodge, but you can kill two birds with one stone by helping me out from Vehicle-Ranch confusion, and saving me time from the process of the trading deal… I'll have one of the girls take me to town to pick up my new one, that's waiting on me. If that will work for you, then I'll have Tron and his helper follow you home with Big Red for you to have forever… unless we upgrade you in a few years.

After hearing his words, my body went so limp, that my foot came off the clutch and popped the gear into a jolting stall out.

We both laughed as the truck shuddered… and as I spit and stuttered my words of acceptance and appreciation for his more than generous offer.

It was now an hour later when I looked into my rear view mirror and saw the reality of Tron following me back home… in Big Red.

Part 5 is coming….

Re: Pt 1 - PT 6 Pictures are Worth 1000 Words....

…………………………………PART 5………………………….

As Tron and his helper were driving away in the other ranch truck, my Wife comes out onto the front porch.

After a long silent stare with a confused facial expression, she finally says… Okay Tim… what did you do now?

In a half dazed stupor I told her the whole story.

After catching her breath and giving me a big hug she said… Honey… your Birthday surprise isn't over yet.

With that, her smile got bigger and bigger as I saw her eyes shifting to the left, down our long narrow driveway that separated the horse pasture from the cattle pasture. I noticed a vehicle coming up the road that I didn't recognize. As it pulls up next to us, I see that it is some kind of Military Vehicle.

I thought…Oh My God… bad news… as a young Soldier steps out of the back door.

But then…

My Son Brian stepped out on the opposite side.

Oh My God…. Oh My God… Oh My God… that was all I could say, as we embraced each other like never before.

After a lot of hugging, giggling, and crying, Brian was finally able to introduce us to his best friend Ben, who had come home with him while on their two week leave from active duty from the Big Sand Lot.

That stinking Wife of mine wanted to surprise me on my Birthday with their arrival… and She DID… She Got me… She Got me… and I'm glad I have her.

We told stories until late into the evening about their life in the Sand Box, and about our life here on the ranch. But every time I told them coyote hunting stories… both of them perked up with extra interest. I said, Hey Guys, if you're going to be here for two weeks, then we can do a lot of coyote hunting… anytime you're ready… I'm ready.

Brian pops up with…How about in the morning.

I said, absolutely… my time is your time.

As I walked across the great room and starting unlocking the gun vault… Brian says… Is Thumper in there…?

You know she is Brian… I just shot her last week… she is always ready to Thump those coyotes over. I think that rifle loves you more than your AR-15… which is also ready to go.

I believe she does Dad… so Ben can shoot my AR… he LOVES BLACK GUNS.

Early the next morning, just as the sunrise was raising its smiling face above the horizon, the three of us piled out of Big Red onto a ridge line, which overlooked a long river bottom.

Within a few minutes we are all fanned out across the sloping hillside face, with me in the middle working the e-caller.

Once again, it doesn't take long before BayBee Cottontail pulls two coyotes up from the river bottom on Brian's side. I look over to him and see him aiming, but holding off on the shot… milking the experience I guess.

While expecting the boom any moment, I looked over to Ben to notify him, but he's doing the exact same thing as two dogs are heading towards the caller from his side.

I'm thinking …what the heck…there's going to be 4 dogs crisscrossing at the caller any minute. But as the four dogs reach a higher elevation, and see each other… they all stop and stare at each other…. Mistake….because right then, I hear one really LOUD stereo shot ring out as I see two dogs drop in their tracks.

WOW… I believe those other two dogs and myself, all crapped ourselves in the confusion of what just happened. But when my brain cells started working again, I realized that they shot at the same time… dropping a dog a piece.

I just sat there watching it all unfold, as the other two dogs decided to head back to their river bottom safety. But wouldn't you know it… they both stop for a last look before entering into their brushy safe haven. Mistake… and once again, I hear one LOUD stereo shot ring out, while watching two dogs drop again. I think… What? What the heck just happened? There's no way they shot another double at the same time?

But they both turned towards me with smiling thumbs up.

I sat there dazed and thinking… those PM Boys will never believe this one.

Wow…. Is this Heaven….?

I was so excited that I just finished the set by standing up and waving congratulations at them both.

We came together with so many smiles, cheers, and silly giggling chatter that we sounded like a Girl Scout Meeting.

Ben had never been coyote hunting before, and in the midst of all the giggling, he said that this was the most excitement he'd had in a long time… and that two weeks of this would be like Heaven to him.

I jokingly told them that these were just coyotes….Boys… not Taliban.

Ben was quick to say… Yes Sir… but this was better than Taliban because the Sand Box had too much waiting around, and not enough trigger time… and that it was good to shoot at something that wasn't shooting back for a change.

With that… it became a sobering moment for me..

We finally got everything loaded back up into Big Red and were heading towards a large cattle pond for another set.

As we came around a corner I noticed the two girls riding their horses towards us on the road.

I thought…Oh no… I'm in a hurry to get to the other set, but I have to stop and say hello and introduce the boys.

Just for a quick moment I thought.

NOT… it looked like the boy's hands were cemented to theirs as they introduced themselves in a sheepish way. All I could do was stand back and watched as shrapnel splattered all over those boys after stepping onto that Female IED.

I didn't know what to do, but those four deer in the headlights finally woke up as Linda's horse bucked a little bit, and broke up their frozen stares and silly smiles.

I finally cut in by telling the girls that we were going to make another set and that we'd see them later.

Lisa was quick to reply, that lunch would be ready at noon, and that they would be offended if we didn't come.

I said noon would be great and that it would be our pleasure.

The girls turned their horses back towards the ranch house as I got the boys back into the truck.

The first words out of Brian's mouth were… Dad… they're Twins. .. Identical Twins.

I know Son… the only way I can tell them apart is that Lisa has the Brunette hair like the Mona Lisa… and that Linda dyed her hair Blonde to help with the confusion.

They were full of questions about the girls, but I told them that I barely knew them, and that they could ask all the questions they wanted to at lunch time.

We finally got to the pond area and started setting up, but I could tell that the boys were in slow motion… or somewhere else.

I had them both set up to my right side overlooking the best possible spot for dogs to appear near the pond. After playing BayBee Cottontail again for awhile, and getting no takers… I hit the pup in distress #3, and within a moment a single dog ran up on top of the pond bank about 200 yds out. It's standing there looking towards the caller trying to decide what to do, and I'm wondering why they're not shooting….Hmmm…. what's going on…?

Finally the dog grabs a gear and charges the caller right across in front of the boys. It's about to run over the caller so I bark it to a stop, and Screamer flips it backwards.

I continue calling for awhile but nothing more comes in, so I finally go to the boys who were staring off into the sky as if they had become Waterfowl hunters.

I kicked Brian's outstretched leg to wake him up, and asked them why they didn't shoot that dog right in front of them on the pond bank.

As if in unison they both say…What Dog…?

I shake my head in laughter and ask them if they could get back to the truck while I go get the coyote? They say…Sure thing… no problem… we can get back there okay.

I had to laugh some more because the truck was only 200 yds straight up the hill, and I thought they would want to share a little bit of my coyote killing excitement…. But NOOOOO...… they were in Shell Shock.

I hadn't really driven around the property very much, so I decided to scout out some other areas because it was getting too late in the morning for calling… and …because those Boys looked Mummy-Fied.

After awhile I asked them if they were ready for lunch, and it was only then that they both sat up straight in their seats and smiled, with a… We're ready… reply.

A few minutes later we arrived at the ranch, and Bull met us on the front porch with a super warm welcome as I introduced the Boys to him.

He said to come on in and meet his Daughters.

I was quick to say… Bull, they already met the Girls this morning down the road.

He says…Well.. No wonder they're acting so strange.

With a chuckle we enter the house, wash our hands, and take some seats around the table…. which looks like a King is coming.

It wasn't long before the Girls came in from the kitchen, both carrying a hot dish of food. Lisa sat herself and the dish down in front of Brian, as Linda did the same with Ben.

The expression on Bull's face was a Kodak moment, as he looked at their shell shocked faces for the first time. He finally looked at me with a questioning facial expression.

I said… Don't look at me Bull, these Boys have been this way ever since they all met this morning…Heck… they even let coyotes run all over them without a shot.

Bull sat there for a moment, looking around at them, and finally says…. Oh Lord…. Help us… Let us Pray for them and for this food that we are about to partake of… may it Bless our bodies with nourishment, and May Your Will be done with these Kids… Amen.

………………PART 6 IS COMING…….

……………………………..PART 6………………………

I looked at the girls after that prayer and noticed that somehow they had instantly become prettier than I had ever seen them before. It wasn't like they became Beautiful, but it was more like a Lovely Wholesomeness had over taken them. Those long braided pony tails were now unwrapped and combed down around their shoulders like a shroud around a delicate vase, and their eyes seemed to sparkle like small pieces of cut glass hanging in a sunny window.

All I could think of was…Oh my goodness Brian… just wait until your mother hears about you being taken prisoner by the Cootie Bug…. and Ben as well.

Bull and I tried to carry on a conversion with them, but they mostly gave us short stuttered replies, before going back into their silly stupider of staring, giggling, and playing with their food.

After sitting there long enough to eat two meals, I finally told them all, that it was time to leave, and to go make some more late afternoon and evening sets.

I started getting up while thanking Bull and the Girls for such a wonderful meal and trying to arouse the boys to leave with me,

but Lisa quickly said… Mr. Tim… I have a Hot Apple Pie getting ready to come out of the oven and was hoping that Brian and Ben could stay here and have a piece of pie outside on the porch swing.

Linda quickly chimed in with her hopeful plea as well, and to my surprise, the boys were right behind the girls with their appeal.

All I could think of was… Oh my goodness… do you Boys mean to tell me that you would rather sit in a hard back swing, eating pie, drinking cold milk, telling stories, with a lot of small talk, instead of calling in Mr. Coyote…?

But before I could say a word, my mind flashed back to the first time I saw my Sweet Pea… it was then that I truly understood.

Okay Boys… I'll pick you up around dark-30. And with that… I bid them all goodbye.

As I drove away looking for another stand site, I realized that I must be caught up a little bit in this whole thing as well, because I forgot to take pictures of those 5 dogs before Tron took them away.

I just chuckled and said… Oh well… those PM Boys probably think I'm just making this all up anyways…LOL.

I was trying to locate an old abandon farm house that was showing up on the map, and now my GPS was telling me that I was getting close. I pulled over and grabbed my gear and followed the GPS down a ravine and around a knob, and finally… there she was, all by herself looking for company.

I sat up with the sun at my back about 100 yds from the falling down structure of someone's past memories and dreams.

The thicket about 200 yds past the Old House looked like a good place for bedding coyotes. I sat up the caller a mere 40 yds away and started out with a new sound… Crazy Jay Birds.

I let them scream for a several minutes while searching the brush line for coyote activity. After a few minutes passed I noticed some minor movement at the old house, which made me get the binoculars up for a closer look. Low and behold… I see two Bobcat faces looking out from under the rock foundation and boards. They were so focused on those screaming blue jays that I don't think they even blinked their eyes. I kept the caller going and finally see one of them creeping out and putting on its stalk, while the other one just kept watching.

The first one gets within mere feet of the caller when the second one charges the caller with full throttle… over running the first one, causing confusion between themselves as to who was going to eat bird pie tonight, and then they both finally catch a good whiff of human scent from the caller.

The good thing about their confusion is that The Screamer loves to take advantage of these situations, by helping them make up their minds by sending 55 grains of Nighttime Nyquil for one, while giving a shot of Caffeine to the other one. While the Nyquilled one is lying on its back with all fours waving goodbye… the Caffenated one is heading back to the farm house for cover. But what does it do…? It stops for a looky-see before retreat.

Don't they know that curiosity will kill the Cat.

Well, while it's looking back at its mate, O'Tim and Screamer are looking back at it. My mind says, Okay Screamer, send it a night time capsule… its nighty night time for Mr. Bob.

Within a flash, Mr. Bob is closing its eyes as the capsule catches it in the left front shoulder… creating a sleeping posture that it had never known before.

I sat there soaking up the action, while wishing the Boys had been here to see a double on Bobcats, which doesn't happen very often… and better yet, they would have been the shooters. Oh well… I'm sure they wouldn't feel like they were missing out on anything right now… eating pie and ice cream... giggling the day away.

Then it dawned on me that they were probably sick and tired of hanging around and talking junk to the tough guys, and were probably more than ready to enjoy the company of someone more gentle and sweet… can't blame them for that.

I scrambled on down to the bobcats, and set up a photo scene for pictures so that the PM Boys would finally believe that I'm killing stuff. I just got them all arranged on some old weathered boards… up against the tattered old house… and with the orange glowing sunset behind them in the far distance, when in the midst of digging out the camera from my fanny pack… a coyote howled just over the hill a few hundred yards away.

I quickly dropped everything there except for my hand calls, rangefinder, and binoculars, and started my sneaky approach for the ambush. It took me about 30 minutes or so before I could round the bend and spot the howler sitting way up on top of the hill top across the ravine.

My first thoughts were… should I call him closer or take him there. He looked to be in range, and after a quick check with Mr. Leica, it said 441 yds.

While wondering if Screamer was up to the task, I heard it say…. Come on Tim, you know I can do it… No problem… Easy Pezzy Japanieze.

Okay then, I thought, as I flipped down the bipod legs for a stable rest on the grassy hillside.

It was sitting down facing my way, which made for a long, frontal chest shot. A quick glance at the grass between us told me that the wind was now more of a very slight breeze, and that I should hold off slightly to the right.

Knowing the bullet drop at that range, along with the very slight wind drift, I placed the crosshair dot on the outside edge of its left eye and sent it.

For a moment I thought I had totally missed, because it just sat there, but by the time I heard the SMACK… it fell over on its right side… STONING IT COLD.

I jumped up and danced around waving Mr. Screamer in the air like a Wild Comanche, while softly yelling… Gotcha… Gotcha… Gotcha Mr. Howler.

After a few minutes of self-back-patting and kissing Screamer, I made my way up the hillside for the retrieval. It took a little bit to get across the fences and the swollen brushy bottom, but I finally had my hands on another prized Benji, with a hole dead center in its chest.

By the time I got the howler down to the bobcats, I was out of camera light… and I was also running out of daylight for myself, so I quickly tied them all together with my pull rope the best I could, and started my long pull to the truck in the fading light.

It was DARK-30 by the time I had them in the back of Big Red.

After a short drive I rounded the corner and could see the Ranch house with the four Jack-O-Lantern Kids swinging on the front porch. They all ran down to look into the truck, because they could hear my shots in the distance.

Before I could tell them very much, Lisa said to save it for Dinner, and to come on in, because it was ready and waiting for my return.

When I entered the dining room, I had another surprise as I saw my Lovely Wife sitting there all nice and pretty… waiting on me.

Brian and Lisa had broken away from the house long enough to go pick her up for dinner tonight.

I sat there in amazement as I looked around the dinner table at my family, and all my new friends laughing, eating, and expressing their joys in many ways.

All I could think about was how Blessed I was… Blessed… Blessed… Blessed.

WOW… What a Happy Birthday.

Is this Heaven…?

Part 7 is coming....maybe... that is if anyone is interested....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.