Proper Brass Dimension at back of .300 RUM

Guess the for free is posted somewhere else?

I have a solution....but you might not be able to do it or have it done.

I have noticed that the thick case wall cartridges like RUMs, WSMs and RCMs that I have worked with often don't size back to fit the chamber in the area near the web. The issue is the dimension differences between the chamber dimension and the sizer die dimensions. In most cartridges the typical difference works great but with these thicker cases the sizing needs to be more aggressive due to springback.

I have a lathe. I purchase another FL die for the cartridge in question. I use a carbide tool bit and cut off the top and bottom of the die. I end up with am adjustable small base die. I can move it up or down in the press to get the once fired or multiple fired brass to fit.

I will take your brass if you don't want it.

I am disappointed in GunWerks response. Very poor customer service, for such a minor issue for them to resolve. Apparently they don't realize how valuable protecting their name is. Instead, they could have refunded your money and you would have come on here praising them giving them basically free advertising... Rifles are where they make their money, not selling used brass. Poor choice imo.

Guess the for free is posted somewhere else?

I have a solution....but you might not be able to do it or have it done.

I have noticed that the thick case wall cartridges like RUMs, WSMs and RCMs that I have worked with often don't size back to fit the chamber in the area near the web. The issue is the dimension differences between the chamber dimension and the sizer die dimensions. In most cartridges the typical difference works great but with these thicker cases the sizing needs to be more aggressive due to springback.

I have a lathe. I purchase another FL die for the cartridge in question. I use a carbide tool bit and cut off the top and bottom of the die. I end up with am adjustable small base die. I can move it up or down in the press to get the once fired or multiple fired brass to fit.

I will take your brass if you don't want it.

I have it listed in the classifieds.... I think there are 24 pieces that are just too big and 10 pieces that are too big and have slight dents. Expect they will blow out with a fire forming load. If you pm me your address, I will ship them to you if you pay the flat rate shipping

my 300 rum reamer is .5727 at the bolt face and .5505 at .200 from the bolt face. if they fired the cases at extreme pressure the pockets would be loose. if the pockets feel tight they can be sized, I feel. sounds like they had a deep set headspace and a lil slop sideways on the reamer for a wider chamber

Primers didnt "fall" out when resizing, so I dont suspect excessive pressures, but I would question the age or no. of times fired. 18 pieces of the brass were soft and resized nicely. They also had a maximum case diameter of .548 after resizing. The unusable brass was so brittle and hardened that it just wouldnt come back into spec....and the explanation that I should have returned it before realizing it was too hardened to resize correctly....is almost laughable.

Received a follow up from Gunwerks from someone named Mike and it was a completely different and much more sensible/polite discussion than the first. Mike went through the possible issues with the brass including, trim length, shoulder set back, brass hardness, and firing brass in a looser chamber. Long story short, he insisted on refunding the cost of the brass and apologized for the content and recommendations of the previous phone call. Very different than my first encounter with them and Mike definitely vindicated the company in my eyes. Thanks to everyone here for the help as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.