• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Pre 64 Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06

DMack

I have a pre 64 Model 70 featherweight made in '58 or '59. It's about 90% and has a Leupold VXIII 2-8 on it.

Bluing is near perfect, some handling marks on the stock. I have it for sale at a local shop but thought someone here might be interested.

I can get pictures if there is any serious interest.

$1800 to your FFL.

Please don't post a picture I have a weak spot to the featherweights😂😂 hate to have to buy one 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

Me too and if it has an original aluminum buttplate, game over!
About 5 or 6 years ago I stopped by a local gun store that has been in business for +/- 60 years. I was buying some bullets to load in my son's 308 for an upcoming hunt. As I approach the cash register to pay, I see a bargain bin box behind me with a bunch of old stuff they are trying to get rid of (old holsters, handgun cases, odd caliber reloading dies, etc.). They had a few rifle stocks on the table and my eyes went wide when I saw a Pre-64 M70 Featherweight stock in PRISTINE/PERFECT condition with an original aluminum buttplate. The price tag/sticker said $30. I asked the guy if they were really selling this stock for $30 and he said "Yep" obviously not knowing what it was. I quickly paid the $30 and walked out the door. I was with a work colleague who was not a shooter at all but thought it was fun to check out the store. He was a big EBay guy and I told him I could put this stock on EBay and quickly get +/-$300 for it. He said no F'n way and thought I was crazy. We put it on EBay the next day and it ended up selling for $600 or so. The buyer was a guy in Texas who had a pristine Pre-64 M70 Fwt but an early owner had cut off the aluminum buttplate and installed a recoil pad (many people did that back in the day). All he cared about was making that gun look original and he hated the aftermarket recoil pad.

About 5 or 6 years ago I stopped by a local gun store that has been in business for +/- 60 years. I was buying some bullets to load in my son's 308 for an upcoming hunt. As I approach the cash register to pay, I see a bargain bin box behind me with a bunch of old stuff they are trying to get rid of (old holsters, handgun cases, odd caliber reloading dies, etc.). They had a few rifle stocks on the table and my eyes went wide when I saw a Pre-64 M70 Featherweight stock in PRISTINE/PERFECT condition with an original aluminum buttplate. The price tag/sticker said $30. I asked the guy if they were really selling this stock for $30 and he said "Yep" obviously not knowing what it was. I quickly paid the $30 and walked out the door. I was with a work colleague who was not a shooter at all but thought it was fun to check out the store. He was a big EBay guy and I told him I could put this stock on EBay and quickly get +/-$300 for it. He said no F'n way and thought I was crazy. We put it on EBay the next day and it ended up selling for $600 or so. The buyer was a guy in Texas who had a pristine Pre-64 M70 Fwt but an early owner had cut off the aluminum buttplate and installed a recoil pad (many people did that back in the day). All he cared about was making that gun look original and he hated the aftermarket recoil pad.
I'm not sure but I think the buttplate may be plastic? Pretty sure its original. Maybe making that up in my head. I need to go pull it off the rack and get some pictures so I don't get nuked for rule breaking. I'll check.

Did they make them with plastic buttplates?

I'm not sure but I think the buttplate may be plastic? Pretty sure its original. Maybe making that up in my head. I need to go pull it off the rack and get some pictures so I don't get nuked for rule breaking. I'll check.

Did they make them with plastic buttplates?
Yep, that sounds original and correct for the age of your rifle that you estimated. I pulled this post from the Winchester Collectors website.

"The steel & aluminum (featherweight) buttplates were replaced with a flat plastic buttplate in the mid 450XXX range which equates to 1959. As mentioned the new buttplate was flat, i.e., did not have the indexing "V" at top. This was a cost cutting measure which did away with the expensive metal forgings, and did not require the labor intensive inletting for the "V". These were used through out the balance of the pre 64 production on all the 70's except those that received factory recoil pads, as well as the target rifles which continued the use of the flat checkered steel butt plate used on the Marksman stock."

Yep, that sounds original and correct for the age of your rifle that you estimated. I pulled this post from the Winchester Collectors website.

"The steel & aluminum (featherweight) buttplates were replaced with a flat plastic buttplate in the mid 450XXX range which equates to 1959. As mentioned the new buttplate was flat, i.e., did not have the indexing "V" at top. This was a cost cutting measure which did away with the expensive metal forgings, and did not require the labor intensive inletting for the "V". These were used through out the balance of the pre 64 production on all the 70's except those that received factory recoil pads, as well as the target rifles which continued the use of the flat checkered steel butt plate used on the Marksman stock."
Good info, thanks!