PRC twist rate 7,7.5,8?

Some say groove count has just as much to do with jacket failure as twist rate.

Obviously too much spin is gonna cause it to fail but groove count can play a factor in the bullets survivability in a given twist

Are you thinking or suggesting that if the bullet spinning so fast would blow up quicker when hitting hide and bone?

Not necessarily. I think others have more experience in this area indicating that it actually helps. But the bullet must get there intact. Stability is not a formula that one reaches and then can expect increasing gains without a compromise somewhere. If more twist is always better were a constant we'd all be shooting 1:1 twist in everything.

Dirtrax,
I agree, "increased twists increased friction". And that is why it's likely better to have 5R rifling for faster twist barrels. Fewer lands and grooves, less bullet jacket deformation and radiused groove corners all make for a bit less friction.

Eric B.

I think that may be a factor but too much of a good thing is still too much.

Ive been pondering this quite a while.I shoot mostly 147 Hornady. I have shot the 140 VLD Berger and Id rather shoot Berger bullets,But the 147 Hornady are always available plus I have a friend in Academy that helps me out.We shoot together.I get the powder he gets the ammo and bullets at his 30% Discount.I do 90 percent of the reloading.So even though Id like to shoot the 156 sometimes the $$$ factors shooting paper or electronic targets.I hunt with my 7mm Rem Mag mostly.I just love to shoot little things as far away as I can..lol
So Im thinking between his 6.5 Creedmoor at 140grand my 6.5 PRC at 140,143,147 and 156 grain bullets and his ammo connections I think a 1in 7.5 would be my best option..
Ya'lls opinions???? I may have missed something..Any thoughts?

What's the conclusion on 6.5 PRC twist rates? This gun will be used from sea level to 9500ft. Planning on 147eldm and hopefully heavier when the start coming out..7, 7.5, or 8?
Your smartest move for the long term if you intend to shoot heavy for caliber bullets in the PRC is to just go ahead and at least get a 1:7.5 or even 1:7 tw.

If you're going to chase the latest, greatest, highest BC offerings as they hit the market then the 1:7 would be ideal.

Ive been pondering this quite a while.I shoot mostly 147 Hornady. I have shot the 140 VLD Berger and Id rather shoot Berger bullets,But the 147 Hornady are always available plus I have a friend in Academy that helps me out.We shoot together.I get the powder he gets the ammo and bullets at his 30% Discount.I do 90 percent of the reloading.So even though Id like to shoot the 156 sometimes the $$$ factors shooting paper or electronic targets.I hunt with my 7mm Rem Mag mostly.I just love to shoot little things as far away as I can..lol
So Im thinking between his 6.5 Creedmoor at 140grand my 6.5 PRC at 140,143,147 and 156 grain bullets and his ammo connections I think a 1in 7.5 would be my best option..
Ya'lls opinions???? I may have missed something..Any thoughts?

It will work for what's available now but if you think there's a reasonable chance you're going to want to load the next heaviest for caliber even higher BC bullet that comes out a year or more from now you'd be better off with the 1:7tw.

It will work for what's available now but if you think there's a reasonable chance you're going to want to load the next heaviest for caliber even higher BC bullet that comes out a year or more from now you'd be better off with the 1:7tw.
I think Im going with 1-7.5 for now. If I need a new barrel in a year I will just buy another. Ive thought about a lot today..Ever since that post. I will just have 2 rifles..LOL I get my Hornady bullets really really cheap. Id rather shoot Berger. But sometimes ya gotta go with what you got.
I am going to shoot Berger in my matches.. But as much as I shoot. And that's almost every day. Id be an idiot to shoot paper..or electronic with expensive Berger that cost a dollar plus when I can shoot Hornady for 25 cents . I will order 3 barrels though. a 1-8 and 1-7. plus the 1-7.5
I really need to talk to someone that knows more than me when I build my new 300 PRC. The one Im shooting now has a 1-9. Im shooting Hornady 225 ELD Match.Its been doing pretty good.But i think I need a faster twist.Whats your opinion Wild Rose?

I think Im going with 1-7.5 for now. If I need a new barrel in a year I will just buy another. Ive thought about a lot today..Ever since that post. I will just have 2 rifles..LOL I get my Hornady bullets really really cheap. Id rather shoot Berger. But sometimes ya gotta go with what you got.
I am going to shoot Berger in my matches.. But as much as I shoot. And that's almost every day. Id be an idiot to shoot paper..or electronic with expensive Berger that cost a dollar plus when I can shoot Hornady for 25 cents . I will order 3 barrels though. a 1-8 and 1-7. plus the 1-7.5
I really need to talk to someone that knows more than me when I build my new 300 PRC. The one Im shooting now has a 1-9. Im shooting Hornady 225 ELD Match.Its been doing pretty good.But i think I need a faster twist.Whats your opinion Wild Rose?
Well that's never the wrong attitude to take. 😂

For the 300PRC I don't think there's any of the commonly available .30 cal bullets that require more than a 9 twist but "sure as shooting", if I ordered a 9tw to build one on there would probably be two or three hitting the market within days of mine being finished.

Honestly though I'm done chasing the heaviest highest BC bullets I can lay my hands on at any given time.

There comes a point where you're lobbing artillery because you simply can't generate enough MV to fully take advantage of the latest offering thus you end up working against yourself in trying to.

There's always a point of diminishing returns and in many cases once you hit the extreme end of that mark you're just going backwards.