Prairie Dogs?

skip AI

How Big are prairie dogs?
Ive been looking at some clips like dogbegone and they seem to blow apart to easy!

TIA

small PD's 2"X9" large PD's 3-4"X12" some bigger some smaller...

basically a rat of sorts.... not very hard to kill unless you need proof of a 1000 yard+ kill.... ;-)

Hi Ric
What month do you start shooting PD and how long does the season usually last?
APB

I don't know about Ric, but I can tell you that it is prarie dog season as long as the sun is shining and it's not too cold. They won't come out much if it's cloudy or there is snow on the ground.

Just got back last weekend from doggin.Was wondering why I had such a devil of a time gettnem out at 750 till I walkt out to check a few kills,the pups are out south of I90!A big prairie dog can be as big as a litter pop bottle but these little bastards where smaller than the streekie gophers we got at home.
the pick shows a 223 and a 6-284 laying on top of them.
pupsbulet.jpg

HE he he I love seein them photos. I purchased the dogbegone video and had many laughs watching that video. I wish we had pdogs down here in Georgia or for that matter (where I live) ground hogs. We have yotes and I guess you could shoot crows, possums, armadillos, and racoons but aint as fun as groundhogs and pdogs.
The top left dog, the case on him, is that a ring on the case about a little less than half way down?

Guinea Pigs!!!!!!!!!!! they look a tad bigger than guinea pigs!

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

we ahve PD's up right now... it snowed the other day and they went down.. it was sunny yesterday and they were up...
they will be up through Oct... as long as the sun is shinning... no sun when it is cold no PD's

Dave
It apears to be a ring but it actualy is just where they rub in the ammo box.The second box from left has a couple of live rounds in it yet.The cases neck up in the boxes are confirmed hits(kinda pitiful)but it was the first I've shot since deer season,the dogs where small and the yardages long(all past 500 with the 6&6.5/284s).The 6.5 only got two dogs but I recieved the gun on Wensday,put the scope on it on Thursday,loaded rounds for it Friday morning ,boresighted it Friday afternoon and then turned it loose past 500
From left to right 140g 6.5-284,105g 6-284,55g 223,75g 22-250 and 32g 204
281761.jpg

Mach V,

I recognized that ring right away. It brought to mind a trick I played on a buddy of mine. It was his first time out and I had not told him to put foam rubber in his boxes to take up the slack. (850 miles will put a pretty good ring on the case) The boxes he was using put the ring just about where you would see case head separation.

We got set up, and I walked over and grabbed some of his reloads and asked if he really wanted to shoot these things with that ring showing certain case head separation. He started sorting out the ones with the worst ring, and I, of course grabbed them and stuffed them in my pockets.

I returned all of them some time later. Empty of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

skip AI,

As Ric said some larger, some smaller. I would much rather shoot at these than the ones Mach V was shooting. It would equate with shooting at chipmunks at 750 yds. Very sporting to say the least. Jim
250774.jpg

In less then a month Iam heading to my favorite Pdog towns in Montana. Yes well be burning up powder on those poor Pdogs the ranchers well love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.