Powder recommendations for 6mm AI and 108 ELD-M

H4350 would be the easy button, stable ,good fill good speed. Stable, low temp swings, less throat erosion, did I mention it's temp stable.
Sierra actually has data on their app
Thats max loads with those 4 powders.
Also with your added capacity you could use any of the very available 6mm creedmoor load data
Screenshot_20220804-150241.jpg

The OP's intended bullet is the 6mm 108 ELDM, but as an extra.

Today at the range, shooting my 10 twist, 6mm AI with 87 VMax's & 50.0 gr. VN165, I got just under 3,500 fps and was able to hit 3" steel at 300 yards consistently with puffy winds. Just an extra, in case hordes of rodents need to be controlled - an 8 twist should also be good. The 6mm 87 Vmax, despite having a modest G1 BC of .4 is able to get out to 500-600 with little drop to hit low profile targets and does reasonably OK in 3-5 mph winds.

This is low profile (physical height vs. activity):

IMG_1712.JPG

When resting with paws/legs extended these beasties flatten out, sort of like slabs vs. round. High velocity & flat helps with 3 1/2 inch high target but most misses are windage.

This is a golf course chuck - PGA. When it was cooler we saw him/her almost every morning when on the way to buy stuff.

Last edited:
The OP's intended bullet is the 6mm 108 ELDM, but as an extra.

Today at the range, shooting my 10 twist, 6mm AI with 87 VMax's & 50.0 gr. VN165, I got just under 3,500 fps and was able to hit 3" steel at 300 yards consistently with puffy winds. Just an extra, in case hordes of rodents need to be controlled - an 8 twist should also be good. The 6mm 87 Vmax, despite having a modest G1 BC of .4 is able to get out to 500-600 with little drop to hit low ptofile targets and does reasonably OK in 3-5 mph winds.

This is low profile (physical height vs. activity):

View attachment 385027

When resting with paws/legs extended these beasties flatten out, sort of like slabs vs. round. High velocity & flat helps with 3 1/2 inch high target but most misses are windage.

This is a golf course chuck - PGA. When it was cooler we saw him/her almost every morning when on the way to buy stuff.
That is the nicest colored one I've ever seen. Is it because it's old and it's face is graying or is it a change in color for the different season? Very cool.

This is a western yellow belly marmot AKA rock chuck (Montana golf course - friendly, no shoot) vs. eastern US wood chuck. The rock chucks, young & old, have gray snouts with some minor variations, like green alfalfa juice smeared all over their faces. They sleep (den up) all winter. Good camo colors, hard to pick out way out there in deep shade against gray-brown rocks - test for good optics/glass.

The most difficult shots are when they are standing. When sprawled out flat go for the up-wind end. I might try 6mm 103 ELDX bullets, seems like it's always windy. Seems like they are associated with red winged black birds (not to be shot-song birds, commonly seen in damp areas).

IMG_1758.JPG

Last edited:
This is a western yellow belly marmot AKA rock chuck (Montana golf course - friendly, no shoot) vs. eastern US wood chuck. The rock chucks, young & old, have gray snouts with some minor variations, like green alfalfa juice smeared all over their faces. They sleep (den up) all winter. Good camo colors, hard to pick out way out there in deep shade against gray-brown rocks - test for good optics/glass.

The most difficult shots are when they are standing. When sprawled out flat go for the up-wind end. I might try 6mm 103 ELDX bullets, seems like it's always windy. Seems like they are associated with red winged black birds (not to be shot-song birds, commonly seen in damp areas).

View attachment 385029
That's much more colorful than our wood chucks, or as I have grown up knowing them, groundhogs. Ours are mainly just dark brown. Some might be a little lighter than others.

I worked up some stats for my 6mm AI, 87 VMax, 50.5 gr, VN165. 10 twist
IMG_1789.JPG

6mm Rem, PPU brass, COW FF, annealed, necks turned to .268.

Screenshot (413).png

At a 95% probability I could expect mean velocites to range from a hi of 3482 down to a low of 3456. My sample size was 10. Accuracy about .5 MOA. This spread sheet will work with other data like powder weight & ogive/land location.

When I shot the 87 VMax out of a 8 twist, 6mm-06 at slightly less velocity the bullets blew up, like gray smoke 20 feet or so out.

This load needs more work to reduce extreme spread, giving up 100 fps or less would be worth it to get spreads less than 20.
Possibly, better brass like 7mmX57 Norma would reduce extreme spreads. Weighing powder is a pain but might reduce extreme spread, these loads were directly thrown from measure, VN165 is about like H4831 SC in grain size. I also have some RL23 that I might try.

The 6mm 95 Berger VLD with a 8 twist is a good combo. The 95 Berger VLD has a really good form factor & can be driven at high velocities but needs a faster twist than 10.

IMG_1353.JPG

Group on left was shot with my old 8 twist 6mm AI barrel with 95 Berger VLD & H4831 at 300. Other .204 Ruger 300 yard groups were included. Messy targets, back then, stuff like this would not go.

H4350 would be the easy button, stable ,good fill good speed. Stable, low temp swings, less throat erosion, did I mention it's temp stable.
Sierra actually has data on their app
Thats max loads with those 4 powders.
Also with your added capacity you could use any of the very available 6mm creedmoor load data
View attachment 384707
These loads have been slightly reduced from the 6mm AI loads shown in my 20 year old Sierra manual.

I worked up some stats for my 6mm AI, 87 VMax, 50.5 gr, VN165. 10 twist
View attachment 385033

6mm Rem, PPU brass, COW FF, annealed, necks turned to .268.

View attachment 385034

At a 95% probability I could expect mean velocites to range from a hi of 3482 down to a low of 3456. My sample size was 10. Accuracy about .5 MOA. This spread sheet will work with other data like powder weight & ogive/land location.

When I shot the 87 VMax out of a 8 twist, 6mm-06 at slightly less velocity the bullets blew up, like gray smoke 20 feet or so out.

This load needs more work to reduce extreme spread, giving up 100 fps or less would be worth it to get spreads less than 20.
Possibly, better brass like 7mmX57 Norma would reduce extreme spreads. Weighing powder is a pain but might reduce extreme spread, these loads were directly thrown from measure, VN165 is about like H4831 SC in grain size. I also have some RL23 that I might try.

The 6mm 95 Berger VLD with a 8 twist is a good combo. The 95 Berger VLD has a really good form factor & can be driven at high velocities but needs a faster twist than 10.

View attachment 385037

Group on left was shot with my old 8 twist 6mm AI barrel with 95 Berger VLD & H4831 at 300. Other .204 Ruger 300 yard groups were included. Messy targets, back then, stuff like this would not go.
Very impressive