Please Help Reloader Newbie

Go to the Reloading section and look at Alex Wheelers thread on "what every reloader needs" and click on the link at the bottom of his first post and get these they will help you tremendously on setting up your dies properly.
As far as annealing get some templag and practice on a few cases with the ole torch method and let them air cool.

You could do it that way, I have. But it takes all the guessing out if you have a case comparator. Take a fired case from your rifle, and measure the case with the comparator, run the fl die up from the shell holder, then start running cases into the die, moving it down like a 1/8 turn at a time till you "bump" the shoulder down a couple thousandths. The brass is springy, so you will need an average. Think I got it all, good luck.

I just realized you are going to mag feed your cartridges, in which case,
I would suggest investing in some of those different height shell holders from, Redding, I believe. These allow you to run the case all the way up in the die, completely sizing the entire length of the neck. I single load my rifle, so neck tension under recoil is not a concern to me. The method I use to bump shoulders back leaves a bit of the neck unsized. Probably not good in a magazine fed rifle , dont know. Probably better to buy the right stuff.

Backing your die .004-.007 to avoid over sizing your brass will not have any negative affects on your neck or neck tension. If neck tension is a concern (which it certainly can/should be) you can use bushing dies, which don't size the last little bit of the neck anyway. (do to the radius on the bushing) In order to "bump" the shoulder, the shoulder has to hit the die, in which case you have fully sized the neck. You might not fully size the base of the case, but this doesn't normally cause any problems, it's only few thousandths of an inch. (probably a bigger concern with AR's or other automatics)
If your looking for a 1 moa rifle like the op is, some $35.00 rcbs dies backed off a little bit is going to be just fine. This method is common in the hunting world where 1/2 moa is what most are striving for. Those that want sub 1/2 moa can't skip out on much.

Well, sir, what you say makes sense, but there is about .005 of an inch difference in the loaded case's top vs bottom of the neck. The spent case is straight. What else could be going on that I'm missing? Not being ****y, hope I don't sound that way, I just don't see what else this could be. If I run the case up into the die till the shell holder cams over, then the neck is straight. I'm confused. Again.

20180202_223010.jpg

So I got my comparator out again, and double checked these two cases. Apparently , I am wrong. The spent case is actually a little over .001 SHORTER than the live cartridge. Going to need to revisit my technique, I guess. Glad we had this talk...I love to make myself look stoopid.

your fired case is shorter than your sized case?
Yeh, I have obviously been sizing the neck only, and only part of that.I just went thru and checked a random sampling of loaded ammo I have waiting for a range day. They are all within .001 to .002 of each other. They chamber ok, tho. Smooth, not tight. I will measure again after firing, and I bet that they will be about the same.

Nothing wrong with neck sizing...unless you share ammo with another rifle. How can a case get bigger than the chamber? Unless you have to sledge hammer the bolt open the fired case should go right back in.

Nothing wrong with neck sizing...unless you share ammo with another rifle. How can a case get bigger than the chamber? Unless you have to sledge hammer the bolt open the fired case should go right back in.

This is why I still FL size, I reload for too many rifles that are the same cartridge. I am just about ready to make my dad and brothers get their own reloading equipment. :mad:

What about neck sizing for a hunting rifle? In my humble opinion it would be asking for trouble because if you get some dirt or pine needle or some kind of plant seed in the action, it could make it so the rifle doesn't feed a follow up round when it's time to harvest an animal

Get the proper tools to set up your FL dies and you will have no problems. Bumping the shoulders back to far and you stretch your brass which will lead to case seperation. All dies are not created equal ( manufacture to manufacture) for the same caliber. I have some dies that need to came over to bump shoulders .002 and some that i don't have too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts