Plain's , Maxi or Lee REAL Conical

porkchop401

Ok fellas I am considering the following conical's my 50 cal TC Omega for elk (Colorado)(Looking for a little warmer hunt) If drawn. I have never shot conicals before , only sabots and only deer.

I am looking at the following , Lyman 395.plains , Lee REAL 320 Gr and the TC Maxi 370gr.

I have ordered a lee mold just for the sake of experimenting with bullet casting and practicing.
I am not sure which other mold to order but I have my doubts about the Lee REAL bullet though I have not herd any reports on its effective ness on game.
Your sharing your experience Is appreciated

If its a good barrel you would do fine the the maxiball or 395 lyman great plains bullet. TC's often have their QLA off center which causes horrible accuracy problems with full bore conicals. Powerbelts, Hornady FPS, Thor bullets would be the best option in a TC as they have a hollow base that helps eliminate TC's error.

I ordered some " No Excuses " 460 gr conical's and I am getting about 2" @ 50yds ahead of 90 gr of 777 (kicks like hell).
My factory sight is on the highest mark to zero at 50yds. Is there any way to order a lower front sight ?

There is a front sight calculator on Brownell's site , use that to determine the amount the sight must be lowered and order one from Lyman that is the right height.

But you can also try a lighter bullet like the 395 Plain's or 370 Maxi.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.