Pick your brain (loading for 26 Nosler)

Dhammer

Mama bought me a Christensen Arms Ridgeline for my bday. It's got their 1/8 select match 26 inch carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

From what I gather it looks like US869 and the Nolser Acu140 or ACULR 142's will be my best bet if I want the heavier bullets for most part I plan on shooting the heavier options). Followed by the The Swifts or Berger VLD in 130 grains. Little I've found the Berger 140 VLD isn't a good match.

I have Nosler factory ammo in the LR129 and some 140's on way to use as a gauge. Plus it was cheaper to buy the loaded stuff then just the brass.

What has everyone found in terms of seating depths and what their 26 Noslers like.

Any hidden gems for reloading data for it? I know what Hodgen, Nolser and Beger provide.

Any other advice?

Thanks.

With Hammer Hunter 124g .264 bullets and US869 you should be able to run between 3400 and 3500fps. At that velocity you would have 1800fps and 1230 ft lbs of energy at 1200 yards. With a bullet that can handle any high speed impact and still deliver expansion down to 1800fps. This bullet is specifically designed for the 8" twist down to sea level.

Steve

Is US869 temp sensitive?

I think it generally is pretty good. Although in using it a couple years ago in an extreme overbore cartridge it needed to be loaded down from top loads in order to not over pressure when the temp went up. I think in the 26 Nosler it could really shine.

Steve

Everything I have read US869 keeps the pressures down compared to some of others in 26. (seems to be what the 26 wants), and doesn't have the issues some of other powders can cause in the 26 Nosler. It interesting when looking at all the data and following how quickly that pressure changes but there's no real major gain in FPS with some as the powder increase. But that jump in pressure has ya going no thanks, at least for me. Hodgen claims it isn't temp sensitive. Key being claims.

Redding dies are on the way. I found a great price on a 3 die set. Bonus since I had a $25 gift certificate from them due to an earlier order/mixup . micrometer seater, Fl with carbide button and a neck sizing die. Got the last one. ;). Sadly Forster has no plans of making dies for the 26.

I have a few things I am going to sell to upgrade my Chinese Rockcucker to a Coax. Still irked but explains why it's so **** sloppy. No where near like one I grew up on. Had I known, I would have bought a Redding or Coax instead. It would have been a lot cheaper too since its was ten plus years ago. I wasn't following what was going on in reloading industry. I didn't realize they were having things made or mostly made in China. (I was in college and two classes away from graduating for Machine Tool Technology after first stint in military when Industry literally collapsed over night). I saw same thing happen in roofing manufacturing when I was a kid with my dad. We had really hard times for a while. But because of childhood I knew enough I had to bail on something on my first career choice. I had some buddies loose everything who stayed in industry.

So I will aways support US Machiing/manufacturing jobs with companies that kept the jobs here. Sorry for rant. It irks me every time I think it about along with no way can I do anything precision with my RCBS (consistency to my expectations is **** near impossible) and don't feel like trying the Dillon 550 to do the 26 load development. I prefer a desicated single stage.

I just need to go pick up some powder today and some bullets in two week or so I have them on hand.

Then it's waiting on mama to say I can order the scope I want. This only getting a paycheck once a month sucks!!!!! l pack rat gift certificates and gift cards so at least at times like this I can get the toys.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.