Pennsylvania doe tags

hesse

The guys that are from Pennsylvania what do you think is going to happen with this year's new version of the online doe tag sales. Do you think it's going to be better worse or about the same. Who else feels that they need to tweak this to make it a little bit better what would you do to improve the situation

It has to be better than last year. No worries about me getting a tag or two in 1A since there's plenty available.
I still can't understand why some waited in line for a hour last year for a unit that has tags available into the last round.
Hopefully anyone on here hunting up north will get your tag. Good luck

I think it will be better, the only reason they had issues was because 150,000 people jumped on to buy tags in the first couple hours and the system simply can't handle that many. By starting the three high priority units first it drastically cuts down the number of people trying to get tags in the areas that sold out first which should alleviate the issue and give people more time to get them reducing the load on the system.

After all those people jumped on at 8am the first unit didn't sell out until 3 days later so people had plenty of time. If people would relax and just buy the tags when they get a chance instead of rushing to be first there would have been minimal issues.

That being said I hunt 4A, we haven't sold out in a decade and have tripled the number of tags.

I also hope that they would add more computers to speed up the lag time . I am glad to see that they went to over the counter tags. I wonder how much cost savings on not having the pink envelopes in the hunting rules book and they sold every doe tag last year(I hunt 2a)

I also hope that they would add more computers to speed up the lag time . I am glad to see that they went to over the counter tags. I wonder how much cost savings on not having the pink envelopes in the hunting rules book and they sold every doe tag last year(I hunt 2a)

Not sure about the savings but the general consensus I've seen is that the state database that they have to pull your information from simply can't handle that many people at once which is the reason for the queue and the staggered start. Until the state updates their system they won't be able to process the licenses any faster.

I think it will be better, the only reason they had issues was because 150,000 people jumped on to buy tags in the first couple hours and the system simply can't handle that many. By starting the three high priority units first it drastically cuts down the number of people trying to get tags in the areas that sold out first which should alleviate the issue and give people more time to get them reducing the load on the system.

After all those people jumped on at 8am the first unit didn't sell out until 3 days later so people had plenty of time. If people would relax and just buy the tags when they get a chance instead of rushing to be first there would have been minimal issues.

That being said I hunt 4A, we haven't sold out in a decade and have tripled the number of tags.
Hunted in 4A for years killed my share of deer but the deer herd dropped that low the farm where we hunted, stopped having crop damage. Have not hunted there in 5 years and it is still the same empty woods for those that hunt there.

Hunted in 4A for years killed my share of deer but the deer herd dropped that low the farm where we hunted, stopped having crop damage. Have not hunted there in 5 years and it is still the same empty woods for those that hunt there.
I didn't realize that the numbers were this low in that part of the state. I know most of the northern WMU's have been down for years.
I chalk the decline to the over harvest of does and the huge increase of bears which feed on fawn's along with the coyotes.

Not so much where I hunt, we have 500 acres spread across 3 properties and kill around 20 to 30 a year for at least the past 5 years with no signs of slowing down. Prior to that I didn't take records but it was between 10 and 20 though we did have less hunters at the time.

Thats the case with about all of 4a we were overpopulated for 40 years now they won't come back no matter we don't shoot anymore. It sure as hell isn't cwd. fawns start dropping in early May and do so till mid-July. three-month feast for coyotes. The pa game Commision is a complete joke. Now they added weeks more doe hunting to our area. Happy I got to hunt in the good old days.

Thats the case with about all of 4a we were overpopulated for 40 years now they won't come back no matter we don't shoot anymore. It sure as hell isn't cwd. fawns start dropping in early May and do so till mid-July. three-month feast for coyotes. The pa game Commision is a complete joke. Now they added weeks more doe hunting to our area. Happy I got to hunt in the good old days.

We hunt 4A and we had a bunch of coyotes a few years back, now the locals got into hunting them and the coyote competitions so last year I had maybe one or two on camera a handful of times the entire season.

One thing we did notice is that last year even in early archery we had a ton of yearlings but very few big does around. We think the locals were killing them for food as one guy saw 12 yearlings in a group traveling on the opening day of archery. Assuming each doe has 2 fawns that's at least 6 does removed prior to the start of the season.

Our good old days are now as we are killing more deer and bigger bucks than ever before. For example this was the opening morning of rifle a couple years back.

IMG_2318.jpeg

We hunt 4A and we had a bunch of coyotes a few years back, now the locals got into hunting them and the coyote competitions so last year I had maybe one or two on camera a handful of times the entire season.

One thing we did notice is that last year even in early archery we had a ton of yearlings but very few big does around. We think the locals were killing them for food as one guy saw 12 yearlings in a group traveling on the opening day of archery. Assuming each doe has 2 fawns that's at least 6 does removed prior to the start of the season.

Our good old days are now as we are killing more deer and bigger bucks than ever before. For example this was the opening morning of rifle a couple years back.

View attachment 580287
A couple pretty good bucks in this picture.
Looks like a old archery wound on the doe at the bottom of the picture?