Patriot Valley Arms and Hawk Hill barrels

gebhardt02

For anybody looking for another top quality gunsmith or barrel manufacturer, I can easily recommend Josh Kunz, owner of Patriot Valley Arms and Shawn Burkholder with Hawk Hill Customs for rifle barrels.

I had PVA chamber up some Hawk Hill barrels for me to use in precision rifle comps this next year, 243AI. I used a grand total of 12 single shots for barrel break in after which it stopped copper fouling almost completely and then went into load development. Of the initial 5 or so test loads, nearly all of them were less than 0.5 MOA at 100 yards. I adjusted a few minor things and worked on getting it a bit better.

In short, this was by far the easiest barrel I've done load development for! The barrel flat out shoots, and cleans up super easy. Check out Patriot Valley Arms and Hawk Hill Barrels, both companies are excellent to work with.

Here are a couple pics, the target is two consecutive five round groups at 100 while fire forming brass. Groups fired prone off bipod with rear bag for support. These were the first ten rounds of the day as well, including cold bore. Scope is the Kahles K624i SKMR, Surgeon 591 action, McMillan A3 stock, SAS suppressor, and I use Red Tac Gear rear bag.

Attachments

• Katana 20 Aug forming load 41.8gr. H4350 105 VLD, Lapua.jpg
    Katana 20 Aug forming load 41.8gr. H4350 105 VLD, Lapua.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Katana 20 Aug.jpg
    Katana 20 Aug.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 293
Very nice rifle. How do you like the Kahles? I would like to try one but having a hard time justifying the cost.

The Kahles scope is awesome, never had any problems with them and the optics are superb!

Yes, Hawk Hill's web site still shows that they aren't taking any new clients at this time, but you can purchase their barrels from three different places, Bugholes, OTM Tactical, and Coreshooting.

I've used barrels from Bartlein, Krieger, Rock, Douglas, Brux, Benchmark, and probably a couple others I'm not recalling at the moment. So far, I'm very impressed with the Hawk Hill. Accuracy is great due to excellent gunsmithing work and chambering, the barrel was very easy to break in for cleaning purposes and shoots very tight. I've met Shawn Burkholder at some competitions and he was always very friendly to talk with, so I appreciate that as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.