Paper on Steel Target

Zen Archery

Anyone ever put a paper target on an AR500 Steel Target? Will it just get completely obliterated. Where I shoot has steel targets out to 1200 yards but no backing to put paper. I def. don't want to shoot at each 100 yard increment then move a portable target.

Thanks in advance.

When a bullet hits a steel target it fragments (or at least that's the script). If it penetrates the target the useful life of the target can be expected to be short.
Fragmenting bullets on target means the pieces have to go somewhere and much of that dispersion will leave very little paper on which to record follow up shots.

Ya it will destroy the paper for sure. I found out that rocks are so bad they can even blow holes in plywood targets sitting in front of them. Steel wouldn't be as bad but it would still destroy paper.

Take a can of spray paint? Spray all the targets you plan on shooting and go from there. I have never shot at a range that didn't allow you to paint the steel.

yes I had a paper target on wood about 2-3 feet away from my steel when i shot it with my 50bmg and i had no paper left after the first shot kind of funny.

Thanks folks.

Yes, we can spray paint but I like to go home and caliper my shots. I'll just take caliper with me. Hopefully won't be too many folks banging steel in same location.

I had a pack of 100 paper targets still in new plastic wrap sitting on the ground about 4-5 feet away from a steel target.

I ended up not shooting at any paper that day and just shot the steel.

The bullet fragments off the the steel penetrated all 100 paper targets in the stack. I had to throw them all away.

It really is amazing how those bullets fragment so violently and in so many pieces.

I read once that because of the heat and pressure of the impact, the fragments actually are liquid for a very short time then harden up again while flying through the air. That could just be folklore though, not sure.

I ended up using some old tiles laying around.
Put them next to the target on the ground.
Took some old rods stuck them in the dirt (front and back to keep from blowing over). Then started sending rounds down.
Man its humbling to see how bad you are at shooting.

If anything I learned I need a heavier BC bullet. My poor little 168gr (430bc) bullet really gets wonky beyond 800 yards.

I read once that because of the heat and pressure of the impact, the fragments actually are liquid for a very short time then harden up again while flying through the air. That could just be folklore though, not sure.

There used to be a mind blowing slow motion video on Neco website filmed at 'a million frames a second '? Of various bullet impacts ,the copper and lead definitely behaved exactly like a liquid !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.