Outdoor Furnace

C.O. Shooter

Can someone tell me the major differences between an outdoor coal and a outdoor wood furnace. Can you safely burn wood in a coal stove. Any comments on a particular brand? Here in PA, a popular brand is Mahoning. Their coal furnace is 5500$ and their wood is 14500$. Coal will burn hotter than wood, so why couldn't you burn wood in a coal furnace?

CO, I had a Mahoning 300 for 12 years till the water jacket finally gave out. Researching to buy a new one,I found a new law sets standards of emissions allowed for a wood stoves, therefore they have to be more efficient, hence more money. Mahoning got around this law by putting stickers on their stoves that said " coal only" (no emmissions standards for coal) but you can burn wood in them. I spoke to my Township Supervisor about fines for burning wood in a coal only stove and he laughed because he said Who has the manpower to check everybody who has an outdoor stove to see what they are burning. Call Mahoning, they will answer your questions. Hope this helps.

I have a large cast wood stove in our house, never really got close to the outdoor wood burners. If you have a suitable chimney, an indoor stove is cheaper and uses less wood for heating. No electricity needed either to heat.

Yes, the outdoor stoves have their attributes with the fire being outside.

Good post, I've been toying around with the idea of an outdoor wood furnace and wouldn't mind others input as well. Right now I have a hotblast 1557 wood/coal forced air furnace. We used to have an oil boiler and our oil bills were out of this world. Now I pay State forestry a $20 permit for one cord of wood, much warmer, cheaper, but more work ;)

What sucks is the the upfront cost. I don't mind the sweat equity of getting wood, but I'm looking probably around 7500-8500$ installed!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.