Optimum magnification for a Nightforce 5x25 ATACR Scope

BasilPascali

Just about ready to take the newly mounted aforementioned scope on top of a
Sako TRG 22 .260 Rem to the range for sighting in. I have read somewhere there is a sweet spot with respect to optimum magnification when sighting in... Can anyone tell me what it might be for this NF scope of mine? It its bore sighted to a hundred yards so I am ready for the next step. Been a slow process to get this far due to a botched back surgery eight months ago. It has kept me on forearm crutches with a partially paralyzed left leg. If anyone is in Utah and is needing an orthopedic surgeon, who hunts BTW, I could give you a name of someone I would avoid.

For me, magnification is dictated by target and environmental circumstances. In my experience, more is not necessarily better. I tend to find myself in the 12x - 15x range when shooting 800 - 1,400 yards.

More magnification can be harder to shoot depending on mirage conditions. More magnification will also emphasis your wobble and may lead to you 'timing a shot' (i.e. jerking the trigger). More magnification can also be tougher to spot your hit/miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts