Old school Barnes X - 75 grain 6mm

Calvin45

Hi all, got some old school Barnes X bullets for a good deal on auction…they are 75 grain 6mm bullets. Not tsx, not xlc, just "X". Seems like a great weight for a mono in .243, not sure why they only kept heavier iterations when they upgraded to tsx design (though I suspect it's just cuz the masses don't know any better and wouldn't use a 75 grain for deer regardless of construction)

Anyone have any experience with this particular bullet? Gonna be treating with HBN and loading in a .243

They were bad about fouling anything short of a near perfect bore! They also, because of the increased bearing surface (no grooves) were prone to high pressures! That said, they killed quite well. I still have a few from the old days….prior the the TSX's and TTSX's. Though, mine are a bit larger, heavier than your 75 grainers……about 200 grains heavier! 😉 memtb

They were bad about fouling anything short of a near perfect bore! They also, because of the increased bearing surface (no grooves) were prone to high pressures! That said, they killed quite well. I still have a few from the old days….prior the the TSX's and TTSX's. Though, mine are a bit larger, heavier than your 75 grainers……about 200 grains heavier! 😉 memtb
Yeah I've heard this side of things. The tsx was invented to solve a real problem.

That's where I'm hoping to change the game
With hex boron nitride treatment and perhaps the use of an enduron powder or some other copper fouling eraser type powder.

Did some very primitive load development and got some preliminary numbers

Recent Posts