Old man from NC

357lover

Hey shooters, I am new here. I came upon the site while searching info about the Ruger No. 1.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy the forum. I'm too old to hunt now even though I have a life NC hunting license. The area where I live, Forsyth County NC has turned from rural into a bedroom community. A lot can change in 76+ years. All of my old hunting grounds are regulated and hunting is too dangerous, meaning too many homes surrounding the farms. People too have changed, old friends dying off and the young ones are not too keen on guns anymore. So, I am limited to the shooting ranges to exercise my guns. I sold the farm and retired to the city and that is a bummer! Have to keep the wife happy though. Maybe that saved my life after the heart attack, being five minutes from the hospital. I want to say this: If you love your guns, hunt and shoot while you are young and fit. Old age will be on you before you know it. Thank you for allowing me to read your posts.

I live in Virginia, but hold a Lifetime license in NC. I do the majority of my hunting near Liberty, NC. I just got back from a pig/javelina hunt in south Texas, have a pig hunt in north Texas starting April 20, and a black bear hunt in Maine the last week of August(these hunts are longbow hunts). I turned 71 in November. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys, I plan to sign up for the magazine if I can locate the info to do so.
I sincerely hope to hear more about your hunts and kills.
Before one of my life long friends (Richard) passed away this year, he had family in SC. They had hogs tearing up their pastures. I was going to ask his son in law to let me hunt there, but after Richard's passing the family went back to SC before I made the contact.
So, that opportunity is gone.

Welcome to the forum! I wish I had heard your advice 30 or 40 years ago. I'm in my early 60's and trying to do a few things I've wanted to do. It seems like there is just getting to be more people most everywhere and in some cases it affects the ability to hunt.

ShtrRdy, I guess when we are young and bullet proof, making a living had to be our main goal. Oh how I long for those days when I got off the school bus and grabbed my gun and went hunting with my buddy. Thinking back, I really did not mind slopping the hogs, feeding the chickens, the horse and my dogs. Well, we all can have our dreams, at least the old bodies can't take that away from us.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.