NW Colorado 1st season '23

338weatherby

Wondering how others fared in NW Colorado for the 1st rifle elk season? Three of us hunted unit 33 and the Southern edge of 23 and didn't see a single elk after Friday afternoon prior to opener. We saw a nice smaller (15-20) herd around midday Friday that had a nice bull and a rag. After that nothing. We found that herds beds and they moved at night. We had tracks most morning where they were on the move at night. The warm weather didn't help. The last day of season, we ran into the warden in the afternoon and he said he only registered 6 bulls and 1 cow. Said is was one of the slowest he's seen. After getting back I've heard of 5 other groups that came home empty. I'm not surprised we didn't fill a tag since it was the first time in the area, more surprised at the lack of shooting and what the warden had to say. The plan is to go back next year if we draw and learn some more. Try the steep and dark timber more.

That's no good. I'm heading to the next unit over (24) for third season. Not too optimistic. Last winter was brutal. Where I live in Idaho I've heard very little shooting this year and seen far more hunters than I have elk or deer.

We hunted just outside of Craig on private property that's part of the RFW program. We seen elk daily but with winter kill so high numbers were way down. It's going to be a few years with normal winters before the numbers are back up. Other areas weren't hit nearly as bad so you may want to try a more productive part of the state.
From our sightings I think the antelope took the biggest hit.

Considering the 60+ % winter kill in the NW corner of Colorado you should feel good to have seen elk and elk sign. CPW has been preaching all summer to think about other areas of the state.
Thanks for the info. I didn't catch the CPWs comments. To be honest I didn't expect many. Just a place to hunt. Did OTC in Utah for years and that's a tough hunt numbers wise as well. Being out there is the point I guess. Taking an elk is a bonus.