Nosler Partition 30cal 180gr performance in question.

Hi ANARCHIST,

My thought was that it might be possible that your rifle is driving Partitions beyond their optimal velocities; hence, my recommendation of trying them in a .308 Win. But that was just a guess.

I do know that I've never had one fail on mule deer or elk.

I put a single 160 grain Partition fired from my 7MM Rem Mag through-and-through the massive chest 900+pound bull elk. It took out its heart. He was dead on his hooves.

My thoughts on this knowing the reputation of the bullets was to contact Nosler & return the bullet after hunting season perhaps with a couple new bullets for them to look over hopefully help improve their product.

Hitting a weed or twig followed by shattering a rib is not beyond the realm of possibilities starting the bullet tumbling, assuming that still raises the question how did it lose both lead cores? at least that's the part that bothers me.

The wife did say the rib was broke & the first lung destroyed the second had several smaller holes, either bone fragment or the lead cores? at the time we did not think to look into the situation deeper.

Here's a 180 grain partion out of my 300 rum at 3,200 fps. Hit a 200lb hog when it was facing me @ 125 yards. It entered the neck and lodged in its rear ham after breaking it's leg bone. It netted 130 grains. Never has to track him.

After reviewing your pictures, it shows on your invoice that those 180 grain partitions are nosler 2nds sold at a discount correct?

I would say that's why you had the bullet failure.

After reviewing your pictures, it shows on your invoice that those 180 grain partitions are nosler 2nds sold at a discount correct?

I would say that's why you had the bullet failure.

Ouch! Not supposed to be any performance issues with seconds and blems.

Ouch! Not supposed to be any performance issues with seconds and blems

Good to know, looks like I will be using these 225 accubond blems I have on the bench. hopefully nosler has something to say about this fellas failure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.