NM 16B Archery

kirkeb

I drew an early archery tag for unit(s) 16B/22. I live on the eastern side of the state and dont know the area. Does any one have any tips or info on some good locations? Thanks

I drew an early archery tag for unit(s) 16B/22. I live on the eastern side of the state and dont know the area. Does any one have any tips or info on some good locations? Thanks
can I private message you. if so how do I do that??

Mike65,
Don't believe you have enough messages to have the privilege to private message yet. But when you do have the privilege simply click on the person name and you will see a box that says "start conversation ". Welcome to the forum, join in some discussions and you will be there in no time.

can I private message you. if so how do I do that??
Can You fill me in on your 16B/22 tag that you drew last season? would love to hear about your hunt.

anything at all that you're willing to share on 16B NM. The son and I are hoping to draw. The son puts in for the first hunts and I the second hunts.so at this point all we can do is hope for the best. Hopefully The outfitter I spoke with will be able to pack us in and out with meat. I don't think I would have put in for the hunt without a packer. to many road hunters outside the wilderness for me to get excited about. all the walmart bugles I's go nuts.
We enjoy Bivy hunting and maybe see a guy or two but not as many as riding the roads. And yes, they probably see quite a few elk but after a few days I'd think those bulls will move up and in.
So, any info Youd like to share on you hunt would be great I have studied everything I can accept a flat line map which I will get once I'm drawn. chatted with a few hunters that drew the tag but some years back. Mike75

Absolutely, what would you like to know?
anything at all that you're willing to share on 16B NM. The son and I are hoping to draw. The son puts in for the first hunts and I the second hunts.so at this point all we can do is hope for the best. Hopefully The outfitter I spoke with will be able to pack us in and out with meat. I don't think I would have put in for the hunt without a packer. to many road hunters outside the wilderness for me to get excited about. all the walmart bugles I's go nuts.
We enjoy Bivy hunting and maybe see a guy or two but not as many as riding the roads. And yes, they probably see quite a few elk but after a few days I'd think those bulls will move up and in.
So, any info Youd like to share on you hunt would be great erything I can accept a flat line map which I will get once I'm drawn. chatted with a few hunters that drew the tag but some years back. Mike75
I hunted the first week of the early hunt. It was hot and full moon. Water was scarce up high. Iron creek was running good though. I hunted out of the willow creek TH. I was in elk every day 4-6 miles in from the TH. Lots of cows,
Little to no rutting activity but I heard they turned on a few days after I left. Expect to hear wolves. I saw herds of 10-20 cows every day by spot and stalking. It was discouraging that I didn't see a SINGLE calf from that year. Expect to see LOTS of hunters from 0-10 miles in. Way more out of state trucks than residents at the trailhead. There's a lot of elk there, just have to get the time right. Make sure to put in for a deer tag,
I saw some absolute monster mulies and a few really nice coues bucks.

Kirkeb thanks for the reply back well appreciated. One question for you as U had to cross iron creek did you at all have a chance to hunt the iron creek plateau. How was the country 4-6 miles in. Thats a hell of a pack if you're lucky enough to kill a big bull. Those bulls I'm sure would have located those cows you were seeing when that rut kicked in.
Too bad you had to leave prior to your hunt being over. We have an outfitter which I did not have when we first spoke> but they go in from the cliff dwellings in the eastern part of the unit. The son and I will stay in there for 5 days unless we are into bull and if not have them pull us and we will hunt out of willow cr Th and if we don't see anything we will come out and move a few miles and start again. that the plan anyway. what's your thought we also will put in the outfitter draw so we have a chance to draw a little better than the NR draw by how much I don't know.
I just hope the son draws and he gets a chance at a nice bull. I don't like being around a lot of guys so finding a Bivy spot where we can be away is what we will look for. hope to hear back and good luck in the draw..

Hey There, we drew the early archery in 16 B. what can you tell me about the unit now that the draw is complete, and we finally have a finalization. I'm hoping with your expertise you have some knowledge and a little insight on what to expect and what not too. We have a packer so that eliminates any issues with pack out or water that part I covered when trying to get this put together if we drew. I spent months on here trying to learn as much as possible before stepping into the unit completely green.
It helped by gaining packer and not having to worry about water.
We don't care if we find the trophy we are looking for and if we are fortunate then so be it. we are going to enjoy every minute we have in the wilderness and will hunt hard and long.
It's not the first rodeo elk hunting and if we have elk around, we will find them. Just to be fortunate that we drew is pretty special how hard it is to draw NM. So, we will cherish the tag.
I hope you have some help and insight on the unit much more than the son and I do. I have studied as far as I can go without stepping onto the unit itself. We have onx, google E, and will be looking at mapping for the unit which can also be a plus in many situations. Is there a specific Mapping on that unit you would use. I have used forest service and topo maps on most hunts but with all the new mapping systems. We have a mini InReach for emergencies and contacts. ThermaCell can be beneficial for those mesquites. 2-way radios, all the gear we need. hot, cold, wet conditions. 2 pair of boots.
We will ride in 14 miles and set up a Base and run from there with enough water for 2 days on our back if we need to stay out a nite or two. We will look into everything a dozen times before our final packs are made.
Any help on the terrain which we know can be steep and some rugged and some not so rugged. I love hunting timber much better than juniper, pinon flats.
I don't think we will see many snakes above 7000 so one more thing not to think so much about but always on the mind.
well sir whatever you throw at us we will appreciate and take to heart. Thanks for the time and do hope to hear back.
Thanks Again
mike76

Attachments

• colorado 2112-19.jpg
    colorado 2112-19.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 11