Nightforce Optics Announces Three New First Focal Plane Reticles

ADMIN

Administrator
Nightforce® Optics, leading manufacturer and marketer of premium sport optics and related products including riflescopes, spotting scopes, and accessories, announces the introduction of three, innovative first focal plane reticles optimized for low-power variable riflescopes. The FC-MOA and FC-MIL reticles are featured on the newly released Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 F1 riflescope, while the FC-DM outfits the newest addition to the ATACR™ family of riflescopes, the ATACR 1-8x24 F1.

"Meeting the needs of today's most discriminating carbine shooters, the latest reticle designs are ideal for most any shooting application ranging from close quarters engagement, to hunting, competition, and even general shooting," said Gordon Myers, Nightforce Director of Sales and Marketing. "Regardless of the environment you find yourself in, the daylight visible illuminated center aiming area encourages fast target acquisition," he said.

FC-MOA and FC-MIL Reticles

• First focal plane reticle
    S.gif

03d0f97b-2c89-4e9d-87b4-10bd53139e39.jpg
  • Elevation and windage markings are valid at every magnification setting, providing precise hold and reference points
  • At low power, the bright daylight center dot and segmented circle are visible under the harshest light, allowing fast, accurate shots
  • At higher magnification, the clean 1 Minute of Angle (MOA) markings of the FC-MOA, and .5 and 1 Mil-Radian markings of the FC-MIL reticle provides easy hold points for moving targets, wind and elevation hold-offs, or for reference
  • Bold, pointed lines at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock help draw the eye to the center at any magnification
  • Available in the Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 F1 riflescope
FC-DM Reticle

• First focal plane reticle
  • The 10 Mil-Radian grid allows for precise holds within the reticle
  • At low power, the daylight bright center dot and segmented circle are visible under the brightest of conditions, allowing for fast and accurate target acquisition
    S.gif

06fe4fc7-5cbb-491d-8c5d-ad2c6c524c34.jpg
  • The clean .5 and 1 Mil-radian (Mil) markings provide easy hold points for moving targets, wind and elevation hold-offs or for reference markings
  • Reference dots are spaced every 1 Mil down to 10 Mils, allowing for hold-offs and shot corrections
  • For more precise engagements and use at longer ranges, the additional features of the reticle provide fast and easy elevation and windage holds
  • Available in the Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 F1 riflescope
For more information on Nightforce Optics, please visit www.nightforceoptics.com

I would like to say that scope reticles are approaching the ridiculous. I do realize that different strokes as they say so supposing some prefer all the extra lines and "obstacles" that block a clear sight picture. However, when shooting long range in a hunting scenario I prefer a fine cross hair and use a program to click (accurately sight in at given yardage) and hold on. Some scope manufacturers have eliminated the plain crosshair to the disappointment of many.

While these reticles seem "busy" to the shooter inexperienced in their use, they can be very effective and speedy to use with practice. They eliminate the need to dial large turrets. These "christmas tree" reticles give the trained practioner an exact hold reference for both elevation and wind. In competiton shooting and combat I suppose (no experience), the shooter can dial an intermediate elevation and use hold over or hold under with exact references on the reticle. It is very quick and efficient. It just takes practice. In fact, in PRS style competitions, these types of reticles are essential to remain competitive.

Hmmm. Don't tell that to the elk, whitetail, coyotes and wolf I shot this year...
I know where you coming from though. FFP scopes reticles get too fine to see at low mag.. just switch on the illuminated reticle and you have a easy to see Red Cross for fast, close work.

FFP is for guys who only shoot at the range on max or near max power. not a reticle for hunters.

What? That's inherently false. FFP is for anyone who wants to make actual use of their reticle at various magnifications. Plenty of people use FFP to hunt, actually i'd venture to say most competition shooters use FFP hunting.

Also these reticles are for their new 1-8 lineup. Wish they announce a competent tree reticle for their ATACR F1 series but i guess since they're invested in Horus that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
What? That's inherently false. FFP is for anyone who wants to make actual use of their reticle at various magnifications. Plenty of people use FFP to hunt, actually i'd venture to most competition shooters use FFP hunting.

Also these reticles are for their new 1-8 lineup. Wish they announce a competent tree reticle for their ATACR F1 series but i guess since they're invested in Horus that isn't going to happen.

questions,

-is this a hunting forum?
-how often if your scope set to middle power while hunting?
-when hunting are you leaving your scope on low or high power most often?
-do you mostly shoot at the range or in the field
-are FFP reticle hard or easily seen at low power
-have you ever shot on public land in the west?
-have you ever had a battery go down on you or turn out to be dead in your optic?
-if your needing the features of the reticle, are you needing it to make a long or short range shot
-do you use full power or low scope power when making a long distance shot?

answer these questions then get back to me on how a FFP reticle applies to hunting scopes.

questions,

-is this a hunting forum?
-how often if your scope set to middle power while hunting?
-when hunting are you leaving your scope on low or high power most often?
-do you mostly shoot at the range or in the field
-are FFP reticle hard or easily seen at low power
-have you ever shot on public land in the west?
-have you ever had a battery go down on you or turn out to be dead in your optic?
-if your needing the features of the reticle, are you needing it to make a long or short range shot
-do you use full power or low scope power when making a long distance shot?

answer these questions then get back to me on how a FFP reticle applies to hunting scopes.

It applies for hunting whether your personal justification for how someone uses their optic fits or not. But to satisfy your list i'll answer.

- First is redundant sarcasm
- plenty, do you keep you're optic at full mag during low light? I don't. Nor do i always shoot on full mag.
- i keep my SN-3 on 10x most of the time.
- i shoot competition and hunt spend more time hunting than at the range
- have never shot on public land in the west, i live MS. Though i'm unsure of how that applies? If it's long range you're referring to we have plenty of that in the delta. I can routinely take 1000yd shots if i wanted to (i don't, longest kill was 700yds)
- for me FFP are aren't hard to see at low power but i don't often shoot on 3x nor do i know many that truthfully shoot on 3x. 5x plus for FFP is fine with no illumination for me.
- I regularly check my batteries and illumination when the season begins but i hardly use illum as is.
- using the features of the reticle at any mag allows me to hold wind values at any mag, hence my adamant defense of FFP not being used only at high mag. In contrast to have accurate reticle subtensions for SFP you'd have to be at a specific mag
- already answered, it varies.

So yeah, FFP is plenty applicable for hunting.

Last edited:
What? That's inherently false. FFP is for anyone who wants to make actual use of their reticle at various magnifications. Plenty of people use FFP to hunt, actually i'd venture to say most competition shooters use FFP hunting.

I too hunt with FFP reticle.

Our shop put a 7-35 ATACR on the rifle I hope to shoot this year in prs. Not really effective for in your face however from 12x and up wow. Set up over a cut field or clear cut (I'm in New England 80% of the wide open areas have cars n houses on them) and you can engage fast at distance. No matter the power your holds are the same. If your going to sneak and peak just put a rmr on a pic rail ring top. Be it on the angle or top in close for a quick shot the red dot will all you need

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.