Nightforce for hunting

I would look at NXS 3.5-15x50 either with MOAR or NP 1 or 2.5-10x42 with MOAR. The latter is better for hunting in my view if it requires a lot of walk. I have 2.5-10x32 on my 300 wm and happy with it except glass clarity, my Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 is better in terms of glass and 10 times cheaper :)

I also used NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR on above 300wm but decided to replace by 2.5-10x32 because did not see any benefits from bigger magnification for mountains rifle. On the contrary there were a lot of negative things such as weight, dimension, narrow area view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Have never looked thru a NF 2.5x10x32 but I do have the new 2.5x10x42 and its very good glass. Its on my go to hunting rifle.

Have never looked thru a NF 2.5x10x32 but I do have the new 2.5x10x42 and its very good glass. Its on my go to hunting rifle.
Agree, it is excellent optic for hunting and should be better than 2,5-10x32 due to bigger objective, and side focuse. The only downside for me is its price.

I had horrible results with my nxs in low light situations. I could see fine with my eyes and it wasn't even that dark. I couldn't see anything through my nxs. I had the 5.5-22x56. Even with the reticle lit up I still couldn't make out the deer. Sold it and got a kahles helia. I can sit all night with it lol. I've heard the new beast and atacr has much better glass than the nxs. You may want to check those out if that's in your price range.

I've hunted with my NF 5.5-22-50 up here in Alaska and have to say had no problems with light issues. Now I don't do a lot of winter hunts cause it's just normally to **** cold. But in the spring and summertime Nightforce glass works perfectly fine for most light conditions. Just my 2 cents. Been thinking about a NF 2.5-10-42 for my 7mm build though.

I would look at NXS 3.5-15x50 with MOAR.

That's exactly what I use on my sit and be still gun. Very nice glass, rugged as a rock, reticle is good for hunting, great light transmission and the illuminated reticle can be cranked up or down considering your situation. But I would not want to walk too far with it, much less up and down hills.

Just shot a great elk in Colorado last night at 8 min before shooting hours ended.

My 338 Federal topped with a NF 2.5-10x32 offered me the ability to clearly pick out the bull, identify my specific aim point and drill the bull through both shoulders. No tracking involved! I did turn on the illumination very low for better divination.

I also own the 2.5-10x42 version and personally I like them both VERY much. They are my go to hunting scopes and i won't even consider replacing them.

Plenty of light, clarity and great illumination make them a great option for real life hunting situations.

I had horrible results with my nxs in low light situations. I could see fine with my eyes and it wasn't even that dark. I couldn't see anything through my nxs. I had the 5.5-22x56. Even with the reticle lit up I still couldn't make out the deer. Sold it and got a kahles helia. I can sit all night with it lol. I've heard the new beast and atacr has much better glass than the nxs. You may want to check those out if that's in your price range.

What did you have the magnification set on?

Just shot a great elk in Colorado last night at 8 min before shooting hours ended.

My 338 Federal topped with a NF 2.5-10x32 offered me the ability to clearly pick out the bull, identify my specific aim point and drill the bull through both shoulders. No tracking involved! I did turn on the illumination very low for better divination.

I also own the 2.5-10x42 version and personally I like them both VERY much. They are my go to hunting scopes and i won't even consider replacing them.

Plenty of light, clarity and great illumination make them a great option for real life hunting situations.

How many yards was your shot. And would you be comfortable shooting out to 600 yards or so.

My experience has been that the ill. reticle is not needed when hunting open areas during legal shooting hours, I turn down the power as light fades. When hunting thick woods in low light you do best with low magnification scope. I do turn the illuminated reticle on when I'm hunting hogs after hours but I have adjusted the brightness down to where you can't see it during daylight hrs. When set to be visible during the day it's to bright in low light to the point of being worse than not having it. Just my experience from shooting plenty of hogs in low light. MP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.