Newcon Optik?

7mmrowland

Have read most of the old threads on this rangefinder but could not find anything recent for information pertaining to this rangefinder? Has anybody purchased one of these lately? Obviously there not high end glass but seems they range a long way.

I have a LRM 1500 and have ranged to 1165 yards. Paid $249.00 for it at Amazon . Used it hunting this year and with an overcast sky it would range consistently out to 750 yards or so. Not worth a dang in the bright sun. My shooting skills are maxed out at around 700 yards anyway so for now it works OK. When I go to upgrade will look real hard at the 2500.

I thought I'd developed cataracts! I am overdoing it a little. :D But the glass is really pretty poor compared to Leica, Swaro,... I think worse than the Bushnell 1500 Arc also.

You won't want to use them for spotting like I do with my Swaros. I commonly use my Swaros to spot game. They double as a very high quality monocular.

To be upfront, I never used the Newcons in the field. I looked at, and through, them inside a 10-acre size building at Shot Show 2007 in Orlando. That's when I decided I'd cough up the extra dough for the Swaros. I already owned a pair of Leica 1200 Scans at that time.

Be sure to read this recent Thread. There's some mention of the Newcon Rangefinders (not positive) that will be of interest to you.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/swarovski-vs-leica-35215/

Good shopping and good luck.

information pertaining to this rangefinder? Has anybody purchased one of these lately?
Which one? That's like asking for information on "a Leupold" scope. A $50 rifleman or a $2000 VX-7? Different answer for each.
They aren't waterproof either. Lenses like Coke bottle bottoms.
The LRB 3000 is waterproof. You've never owned one or even used one in the field? You just looked through one at a show? Which model was it?

The glass on the LRB 3000 certainly isn't up there with top binocs, but they are decent working binocs. I don't care how good the glass is, no monocular can make up for the lack of depth of field and stereoscopic view when glassing for, looking for game at medium ranges. And with a laser that beats anything short of a Vectronix....

Perfect? No. But is the generalization that everything Newcon makes is a *** accurate? Hell no.

The LRB 3000 is waterproof. You've never owned one or even used one in the field? You just looked through one at a show? Which model was it?

I don't care how good the glass is, no monocular can make up for the lack of depth of field and stereoscopic view when glassing for, looking for game at medium ranges.

Stepped on some toes or stumbled in brand loyalty?

I looked through both the 1500 and 2000 models. Correct, I did not, and have not used Newcons in the field. I read and researched them during the same period of time you were doing so. If I had to spend as much money on a Newcon Model as the Swaros to reliably range the distances that the Swaros will, I was going with Swaro. The Swaros range further than I require for hunting and shooting, and they're clear enough that I can go without binos when I want to backpack as light as possible. The last consideration was I didn't want to have to worry about being left out in the cold on any warranty repair issues. I knew what to expect with Swarovski. Not a clue with Newcon.

I have used my Swaros to scan & spot game even though I've had binoculars lying next to me on many mountain backpacking hunts. When I want to go lightweight, I only take Swaros. I continue to do so, even now, without hesitation.

I got one when they were $460 and think it was a great deal. Have no problem in bright sun getting around 900 yards on cows and horses. Houses get around 1200 yards and trees 1300 yards. Those distances are pretty consistant. You can get more occasionally in better conditions. It seems each brand has exceptional units and poor units as per function. I think the optics are fine but don't spend alot of time looking thru them. I can see cows clearly on fields 2000 yards away so I'm fine with it opticaly. I wish it had bushnells brush elimination quality as it will range wire fencing rather than "see" thru it to the animal in the distance. I have hit a stop light at 2100 yards at night so it can go some distance. I have the 2000 model.

I believe the word I am looking for is BEAM DEVERSION maybe not, but is the beam seem to be narrow? I know leica has a measurement like 12" at 1000yds or something so your not hitting some object way short of your intended target. I guess i'm not using them for spotting just accurately measuring distance.

I believe the word I am looking for is BEAM DEVERSION maybe not, but is the beam seem to be narrow? I know leica has a measurement like 12" at 1000yds or something so your not hitting some object way short of your intended target. I guess i'm not using them for spotting just accurately measuring distance.

When I researched the Newcons, I read that they drain their batteries a bit faster than some of the other Laser Rangefinders. I'd inquire about that. But I always carry a spare battery anyway, so that's not a reason in itself to avoid Newcons.

I can see you're not getting a lot of responses here, which tells me that there aren't a lot of Newcons in use. That's the other thing I learned when researching them. It was hard to find any feedback on them. I concluded that there weren't a lot of serious LRH's using them.

If you purchase/use one, be sure to report back which model you got, and if you like it or not.

Stepped on some toes or stumbled in brand loyalty?
Not at all. I personally wouldn't be quite so harsh with something I'd never even used outdoors, but that's OK. Mainly it would have been helpful to be specific on which models you looked at. I doubt you think the view through the 7X40 or 7X50 binocs is the same as the 25mm monoculars you looked through.

7mmrowland, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I did measure the beam divergence of the 3000 Pro, a search should turn it up. IIRC it was similar to what Leica lists for the Geovid and a fair amount smaller than what Swaro lists for theirs. But again, different models will be different. Which ones were you looking at?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.