newbie seeking help

A friend got me on to this site. I live in extreme northern California. I've hand loaded since my dad taught me back in the late 60's. Things have changed a lot over that time. I'm now shooting a browning a-bolt 300 WSM. Here is where I need help. I shooting 168 vld bullets with 66.8 grains of rl-19 winchester cases and cci magnum primers.I get one hole three shot groups at 100 yards. Things look great until I checked speed. It's shooting at 2680 and should be somewhere around 3000. I'm concerned about long range tragectory. Any thoughts?

Do you trust the chronograph?

Is this a max load in your rifle?

I would want more speed if it were me, why shoot a 300 WSM at 308 velocities.?

You may have room to increase powder charge? If not, try another powder.
Some chrono's lie, not saying your's is, but I've heard of it happening.

I think the speed is right. I checked it against a factory load ad that was correct. This is a max load from Berger but there is room in the case. I contacted berger and they suggested a little more powder watching for pressure sgns. What other powder would you sugget? What kind of accuracy can I hope for?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.