New to this site ...nz hunter

510whisper

Well here we go my name is Reece and I'm a New Zealander..I was recommended this site from a good mate who I suspect is a forum member ? so thats how I have ended up here.
I love longrange shooting and it's my passion to get the best accuracy from any weapon I use..My benchrest competions locally and for NZ has shown me what a rifle can do and I try to get as close to that with all my hunting firearms or at least get them shooting as good as I can...Most of my longrange hunting has been done with the 22-250 on both varmits(hares and rabbits) and deer(fallow and reds)..I love the whisper collection of rounds and have developed my own round based on the 30cal which I'm pretty happy with...My latest whisper is the 510whisper which has the legs for true longrange hunting.It's a really neat cartridge with a reasonable amount of versitility.
Wanting something abit flatter shooting ..lol..I have the next project underway a .338 lapua on the CZ550 Action sporting a pacnor super dupa match barrel at 30" not sure what muzzle break yet but have heard good things about the "pain killers".My goal with this firearm is to take a red deer at 1000yrds or more...why? silly question on this site....:):)..My main hunting is for wildpigs with my dogs but do leave plenty of space to get out with the thunder sticks and get some lead in the air....that's me .......Reece.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Reece. Lots of good people here with a ton of knowledge and experience. Your friend gave you good advice..

Please provide more information on the 510 Whisper. What is the parent case etc. etc.

Your new .338 Lapua will certainly be capable of taking a Red Deer at 1K. After you accomplish that, you'll be after those pigs at long range..:)

Gidday Joel,
the 510 whisper was developed by the master of the whisper rounds Mr.J.D.Jones and this one is his best I believe...It's a proprietary cartridge that has a parent case from the 338 lapua and shortened to suit subsonic use.Ideally it runs the 750grn amax at 1050fps in a tight twist barrel that only needs to be 15" to perform...I run a 18"barrel to get some better supersonic qualities aswell.When I say longrange I mean a longerange subsonic rifle and it will group sub minute at 600 yrds with ease...It's like lobing a brick but it does lob it very well..for killing power ...well the subsonics are a whole new ball game when it comes to that...In general they cut just like a broadhead on an arrow does and the animal bleeds out mostly from the exit wounds which is huge due to the yawing effect from such large pills these whispers run.The 510 although it exits does produce a fair bit of knockdown power as it passes through..imagine if you will a 2.7inch pill yawing after impact whistling through an animals chest cavity.The 510 whisper suits longrange shots as does the others in JD's arsinal as time must be taken from the hunter to exact range and elevation to place the best killing shot possible. I have also used Lehigh bullets with excellent results from Dave and his budget ball pill (647grns) certainly shoots like a demon out of my rock chucker and is my only choice for supersonic loads..I have not produced claimed speeds with my 510 as printed as I stopped when the bullet stood still and the gun backed away from it...lol...maybe I'm just a wimp lightbulb...So all and all the 510whisper is my choice of a subsonic longrange rifle...Reece.

Now that's a thorough explanation to my question!

When I get through playing with the supersonic stuff, I'll certainly keep that combination in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.