New to the Game

Dang, them East TX hogs must be on superior point compared to West TX hogs! šŸ˜„ I can walk a canyon creek and pop them at 20yds. Last time, I was blood trailing a hog and walked into a pack! Just my dang pistol too. Shot two 30lb piglets and got charged by a 250lb sow. She had the whale eyes charging at me, but one of the piglets flopped, and squealed, and she diverted to it, no more than 5yds in front of me! My F'N Glock 45 ACP slide locked back on me while that sow charged. Clear chamber, round on top of mag, slide would not budge! I thought I was just gonna have to just pistol whip that dang sow! I worked my Glock back into action and popped her as she ran back across in front of me. Exciting times. Heres the vid:

Live action!! That's some fun right there!

The one thing I wish I knew the first time I hunted them is to try for a head shot if at all possible. You'll likely either kill them or miss them. I've had more than enough run off after a hit in the shoulder area even when it toppled them over on the first shot. This has been with .338 Win. Mag., .45-70 and .308. A few weeks ago I hit a very big hog in the higher shoulder area and never found it. I had a brain fart and forgot to aim at the head!

I've hit several, solid hits with 308 Barnes 168 TTSX that suck up the round and just keep moving. Inside 100 yds, 12ga pump, 19" barrel and rifled slugs šŸ‘ My 12ga is kick named "the hog roller" šŸ˜¬

I'm planning my first ever hog hunt sometime here in the next couple of months. I've already got a place to go in east Texas. My question is this: what did you wish you knew before you went hog hunting the first time? Any advice for a newbie?
I would strongly suggest you look at a boar target indicating vitals location/ kill zone. The shoulder shots we use for deer, elk, coyote carry a high failure rate. If you have a good broadside shot available, just below and behind the ear, level with the eye is a great stopper. Use a 35rem, 30-30, 45-70, 450 bushmaster, or the like rifle. Red dot, 1-6 x , or if some distance a 3-9x scope , you want to start at lowest power. Have fun!
I'm planning my first ever hog hunt sometime here in the next couple of months. I've already got a place to go in east Texas. My question is this: what did you wish you knew before you went hog hunting the first time? Any advice for a newbie?