New to the forum from Utah

PredatorDown

I've been researching a new build for the last few months, and most of the time this forum is what pops up in my searches so I figured it was time to join.

Little background on me first. A few years ago a buddy got me into coyote hunting. I was using my 5.56 AR15 with a 1-4x scope, but found it lacking for the stubborn dogs that held up 400-500 yards out. I started researching a bit into longer range cartridges that would be suitable for the AR platform, and found the 6.5 Grendel. I pieced one together, and started seeing what it was capable of.

Around the time I got it done, I found a group local to me called the Long Range Shooters of Utah. I started looking more into their group, and saw what they called their Milk Jug Challenge. You have 10 shots to hit a milk jug at various distances, the closest being 1000 yards. At the time, I was still very new to LR and thought that a milk jug at 1k yards would be almost impossible. And then I did it lol.

After completing their 1000 and 1500 yard challenges with the Grendel, I decided it was time to build a bolt gun and start to see what kind of accuracy I could get when pushing out to a mile+.

I got my hands on a Remington 700 SPS in 270wsm for a steal of a price, and decided to use it as the base for my build. I quickly changed out the trigger to a Tubbs T7T two-stage (I'm sold on the feel of two stage triggers) and shortly after put it in a JP Enterprises AMCS chassis and had the factory barrel threaded. Even with the factory pencil thin barrel in the 270wsm, I was able to reach out to a mile with surprising consistency. Even so, I knew I wanted something more.

I just dropped the rifle off at the gunsmith's this last week, and can't wait to get it back. It'll be changed to a 30" Krieger 1:8.5 twist chambered in 7SAUM, blueprinted action, and pinned recoil lug so I can swap barrels on my own in the field after they've been properly headspaced. I will also have separate scopes in their own mounts zeroed for each barrel, so it should be a pretty slick setup when it's all said and done.

Here's what it started as:

And what it looked like before dropping it off to the smith:

Can't wait to get it done and see how she'll shoot!

Also, here's the video of me completing LRSU's 1500 yard Milk Jug Challenge with the 6.5 Grendel:

[ame]http://youtu.be/36XhNfFKmEs[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts