New to site.

dlrrlr

Hello to all, I am a new member to the LRH site. I have just purchased a 6.5x284 and I am in need of some good hunting loads for it. My bullet of preference is the Nosler 140 Partition. I am going to Utah this year for a Mule Deer hunt. Can anyone give me some starting points as to what powder and charge I can use. Thanks and God Bless to all.

Here is Nosler data for 6.5-284 NORMA:

6.5-284 Norma

I loaded the same bullet in my .264 Winchester Magnum using the Nosler accuracy load, which produces similar velocity to 6.5x55 loads. However, I did that in anticipation of hunting at short range in the Kentucky woods.

For your application, hunting deer in more open country, I would strongly recommend a Berger VLD or Hornady AMAX over Retumbo if you have a 1/8 twist. Consider 59.0 grains to be your MAX, back off 10% and work up.

for long range hunting you may want to try the nosler etips, 140's have a bc of 489 and the 150's 498. I use the etip 150's in 7mm rm and have had excellant success

for long range hunting you may want to try the nosler etips, 140's have a bc of 489 and the 150's 498. I use the etip 150's in 7mm rm and have had excellant success

I was thinking about using them but I can not find anyone who has them in stock. They are the hardest bullet on the market to find right at this moment. Do you have a load for the 6.5x284.

I was told that this site was good for information on reloading. I guess I was told wrong. I asked for some help with loading information on the 6.5x284 that I am going to use in Utah this coming October. I have not gotten any information what so ever.

I was told that this site was good for information on reloading. I guess I was told wrong. I asked for some help with loading information on the 6.5x284 that I am going to use in Utah this coming October. I have not gotten any information what so ever.

WOW! What is wrong with what benchracer provided you?

Instead of being one of those people 1st use the search function, there is a LOT of loads for the 6.5-284. You will find that the people on this site are very good with information and also know what they are talking about, but posting like you did is not going to help your cause.lightbulb

I already knew about the Nosler site. I was looking for more info than that. Hopefully some loads from members who own a 6.5x284 and has had good results from them.

Part of the issue is that, this being a long range oriented site, most 6.5-284 shooters don't load partitions. The more popular VLD type bullets tend to have much shorter bearing surfaces than partitions do. Seating depth, COAL, and jump to the rifling will also be different. All of that means that the data developed by most 6.5-284 shooters here will do nothing for you with your chosen bullet.

If you had asked about load data for Berger VLD's, Matrix VLD's, Nosler Accubonds, or Hornady AMAX bullets, I would expect the response to be much different.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site who are happy to share what they have learned. If you are not getting the answers you are looking for, it is because you are not asking the right questions. Copping an attitude with people from whom you are asking a favor isn't going to help your cause.

Part of the issue is that, this being a long range oriented site, most 6.5-284 shooters don't load partitions. The more popular VLD type bullets tend to have much shorter bearing surfaces than partitions do. Seating depth, COAL, and jump to the rifling will also be different. All of that means that the data developed by most 6.5-284 shooters here will do nothing for you with your chosen bullet.

If you had asked about load data for Berger VLD's, Matrix VLD's, Nosler Accubonds, or Hornady AMAX bullets, I would expect the response to be much different.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site who are happy to share what they have learned. If you are not getting the answers you are looking for, it is because you are not asking the right questions. Copping an attitude with people from whom you are asking a favor isn't going to help your cause.

Well said, and as ...

Instead of being one of those people 1st use the search function, there is a LOT of loads for the 6.5-284. You will find that the people on this site are very good with information and also know what they are talking about, but posting like you did is not going to help your cause.lightbulb

... noted, use ...

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

In addition to knowledgeable LRH members that are always willing and able to share their experiences, they are also very understanding and forgiving.

Be patient, start over, ask the right questions, and you'll get different result.

Good luck and welcome to LRH.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts