New to site and shooting

jakehaffey

Hi all, my name is Jake and I have been hunting for 18+ years. I have never been great at shooting but honestly never put the time into learning. I am hoping to change that and get decent with my new rifle. I invested in a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 and got an Alpen Apex XP 6-24X50 scope with BDC. I have begun the break in period and am about 20 rounds in. Next on my agenda is learning what my holding points are with this scope and I have been trying to find answers online. I know shooting it and finding out first hand will be needed but was hoping to dig up a good starting point. I am brand new to this and any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Alpen does a very good job of laying out the variables on that reticle, relative to selected power of magnification. IMO, with a good dope sheet in open country you could just set it at 24x and leave it alone for hunting purposes but that's a personal decision. I don't believe you need 1/8 click accuracy for a hunting scope but with that degree of adjustment you shouldn't have to rely on learning "holding points". As long as you can range the target and rely on a good dope sheet you can dial just about anything you might need to the cross hairs.

Welcome Jake, and enjoy the addiction. There is a lot that can and will be learned here. Do you reload or plan to in the future?

Welcome Jake, and enjoy the addiction. There is a lot that can and will be learned here. Do you reload or plan to in the future?

I don't reload. I am very green to this. Most of my hunting is done with a bow. I really just want to learn how to use my scope effectively right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.