New Mexico Mule Deer Hunt

Congratulations on a good shot, a great-looking deer, and a super hunt. 500 yards long ways out there... good job cutting the distance where you can.

Mule deer? Whitetail? Hybrid?
Weird indeed, but still a very nice buck.
Congrats, that buck is really good looking.
Good shot also.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. I'm sending him off to the taxidermy tomorrow. Gonna get a shoulder mount. Does anyone have a good idea what mount would look the best? Front, left, right? I haven't decided yet and curious what you all suggest would look good.

Thanks in advance for your input guys

You can get either side tilt. Or the head and neck straight out like its running and scent checking. Would make for a very cool mount!

Thanks guys. I'm sending him off to the taxidermy tomorrow. Gonna get a shoulder mount. Does anyone have a good idea what mount would look the best? Front, left, right? I haven't decided yet and curious what you all suggest would look good.

Thanks in advance for your input guys

When I have had mounts done, I've tried to have the taxidermist do the mount as the animal looked when I shot. Sounds goofy I know, but for me it reminds me of the hunt and that moment.

Congratulations on your buck and shot.

7mmRemMag,

Sure enough that's a heck of a nice buck. You'll enjoy that hunt over and over as you look at it on the wall.

All of your practice and commitment to sneak in that extra distance to get the shot at the range you've practiced is very commendable. That is a spot on shot. Congratulations!!!!

About the antlers. I looked for the tail to be sure it wasn't a whitetail. :)

Yep, the two species do cross. When this happens the trait that is lost is the "stoop" that the Muley does. That bouncing jump that they do. It seems that this is some kind of advantage to the Muley in its habitat and when lost there life expectancy goes down.

I got this information for an Idaho fish cop. Hope he knew what he was talking about.

Now for one of my dummer thoughts.:rolleyes: Getcher taxidermist to mount him on a whitetail form using a whitetail cape. Then score him as a whitetail.:D You'll have braggin' rights all over town.:D:D

As if you don't have braggin' rights already.:cool:

7mmRemMag,
Sure enough that's a heck of a nice buck. You'll enjoy that hunt over and over as you look at it on the wall.
All of your practice and commitment to sneak in that extra distance to get the shot at the range you've practiced is very commendable. That is a spot on shot. Congratulations!!!!
About the antlers. I looked for the tail to be sure it wasn't a whitetail. :)
Yep, the two species do cross. When this happens the trait that is lost is the "stoop" that the Muley does. That bouncing jump that they do. It seems that this is some kind of advantage to the Muley in its habitat and when lost there life expectancy goes down.
I got this information for an Idaho fish cop. Hope he knew what he was talking about.
Now for one of my dummer thoughts.:rolleyes: Getcher taxidermist to mount him on a whitetail form using a whitetail cape. Then score him as a whitetail.:D You'll have braggin' rights all over town.:D:D
As if you don't have braggin' rights already.:cool:

Lol it's funny you said that. I mentioned that to my friend. People take in just the skull and antlers all the time here at our local deer contest they'd never know the diff. He's just a giant 8 and would deff win the category. Lol i didn't do that, it'd be crazy though lol

Well, the taxidermy received him yesterday, since it's pretty busy he'll take about 6 months. Should make for a great mount though. Hes going to be mounted with a right turn. Since i have one thats front facing already. I'm excited still, kinda wish it wouldn't take as long. But oh well, got to wait. Lol. I know I'm gonna relive the moment when I see the mount. I want to see if the taxidermist could some how intergrade the Empty rifle casing on to the wooden back the deer will be on. Sounds crazy I guess, but I want something unique like that. I've never seen it done, but I think it'd look kind of cool. What do you all think?

Lived/Hunted in the area for a while, and that's not a super unique configuration. Not knocking your deer at all. It's nice. But the white-tail type frame not uncommon. It's not a cross or a hybrid. Just how the 3X3 frames are in that area.

And you did right by choosing your mount. Pick the location in the home and make it fit. A wall pedestal a real nice thing also, as it's more 3D than just a standard shoulder mount, while still getting your L/R turn in.

A good taxidermist will/should do just about whatever you want. Not quite sure what you are saying about the wood though? The wooden plaques around the back of the deer are not quite so popular anymore.

Nice job

Lived/Hunted in the area for a while, and that's not a super unique configuration. Not knocking your deer at all. It's nice. But the white-tail type frame not uncommon. It's not a cross or a hybrid. Just how the 3X3 frames are in that area.

And you did right by choosing your mount. Pick the location in the home and make it fit. A wall pedestal a real nice thing also, as it's more 3D than just a standard shoulder mount, while still getting your L/R turn in.

A good taxidermist will/should do just about whatever you want. Not quite sure what you are saying about the wood though? The wooden plaques around the back of the deer are not quite so popular anymore.

Nice job

Thanks for the info. Yeah I saw one other deer about 3 years ago that was almost identical to mine, maybe even a bit bigger. I tried to find pictures but havent found them yet.

For someone's first post your sure did a bang up job of making sure nobody cares what you say. There's no need to put somebody down like that and if it's your normal routine then I'd suggest you look elsewhere for a sandbox to **** in. You're still a member but how that continues is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.