New member, new project.

joepa2k3

I've been lurking for quite some time, but figured since I bought the first part of my build today, I might as well sign up.

I've been hunting for 16 years, shooting longer than that. I'm mainly a bowhunter, but found great enjoyment in shooting deer at long range with a friend before he passed away at too young of an age. He used a completely custom 6mm bench rifle which I took multiple deer with when I was younger.

I've lost interest in shooting whitetail with a sporter rifle after taking bucks pretty consistently with a bow over the last 7 years or so. The challenge just isnt there for me, which I why I want to get back into long range.

With that said, I've decided to build a gun based off of a Stevens 200 action in 7mm-08. Not the most common caliber, but my dad reloads this caliber and I've shot it for years in my sporter. Ballistics with a 162 amax appear more than adequate to take whitetail out to 700 yards or so. I considered a big magnum, but cost, barrel life, and overall shootability (recoil) turned me away from it.

I picked up a NIB Stevens 200 in .243 today for $285 OTD. Plans are a Shilen barrel and Boyds thumbhole stock, as well as an upgraded trigger. Going to span this build out over the winter/spring with hopes to be shooting it by early summer.

I'll start a build thread once I begin acquiring more parts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.