New Member Here

First off, welcome to the forum and secondly, thanks for your Vietnam service. You are appreciated.

Finally, asking for scope recommendations is like asking who the best rock band is or who is sexier, Ginger or Mary Ann. Here come the Nightforce, Vortex, Leupold, March, Schmidt & Bender, etc. fans to tell you what you MUST have, lol! It's all good.

Hey Frog,
Thanks for the reply to my open-ended question.LOL
I am actually looking at a scope I can use for hunting and maybe some long range shooting to about 1000.
I just bought a new Bergara B14 put an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 on it but there's a slight problem with it and when it gets back from the smith it's going back to them to be checked out for problem.
I like the sound of the Meopta's but have no idea of what they can be compared to and if the eye relief is as small as the Ares.
May just go back to one of the tried and true Louie, Nikon, or ????
Thanks for your help and hope to hear from you again.
Hhardrock

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were just looking for a hunting, all-around general purpose scope, I'd be all about telling you to get a Leupold VX-3i 3-10.5X40mm. (Or a nice Nikon, or a Meopta.)

But if you are shooting long and are going to be dialing turrets, I will defer to the experts in that arena. So many choices. Apparently if you get the higher level Vortex units, there are many fans (and just as many 'not fans' due to issues with the lower priced and middle-priced units.) Then you get NightForce folks which pay top-dollar but claim they got what they paid for and you can't argue too much with that. Toss in March, S&B, and US Optics fans, and you have a feral cat round-up going!

For what it is worth, Meopta optics are very good for the money. I have an older MeoPro 3-9x40mm on my .25-06 that a really like. My only complaint is that the 'power ring' protrustion at 3x is in the way of my bolt hand working the bolt fast. So I leave the scope on 4x. Easy, ha!

Hey Frog,
Thanks for the in put as the scopes go. I like or need a little more light as my eyes have a problem of getting older.
I think I'd like one I could maybe venture into the longer ranges but my budget isn't much over 700, so I know you basically get what you pay for in most cases, thus I'm looking at all the advise I can get good, bad and whatever else comes my way.
Thanks again Frog appreciate what you've given me.
Hhardrock

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.