New member from WV and USAF/ANG (Retired)

Raptor2192

Hello, new member here. William here from WV. I am retired from the WV Air National Guard (30 Years Full-Time and retired as a Lt Col with my first 8 years as an enlisted member) and still working at age 60 for a fed gov agency. Divorced and have one son who is a member of the WV Air National Guard and presently attending college as a senior. I have been hunting since the age of 13 (thanks to a great Dad) and a 20 year member of the Izaak Walton League of America. I am partial to Remington and Kimber for rifles, Sig Sauer, Glock and Kimber for pistols and Remington or Benelli for shotguns. My son and I do own some AR's (Built from scratch with mostly Palmetto State Armory parts, Magpul, etc) with ACOG's. I possess a Concealed Carry permit thru WV. I am also partial to Leupold scopes since their warranty promise has always been true for me when I needed it. I hunt local farms for turkey and deer. Very lucky to have farmer friends who trade work for exclusive hunting rights. I also have limited access to some mountain property. I am neither wealthy or poor. Lol. But mostly healthy and above ground. I am interested in purchasing a long range gun for an elk hunt sometime in the future. So I have been looking at the Kimber 300 Win Mag and the Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 caliber. I like the lightweight of Kimber as I have already purchased the Adirondack in .308 caliber and also have a .308 in the Montana model (kept it for personal reasons). I use factory load Federal Premium Nosler Partitions, 150 GR, in those rifles and is shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups. Good enough for my 250 yard maximum shots for now on whitetails. I am not a long range shooting expert by any means but have access to an instructor (Rifle Team Member) who will be coaching me in the future. So should I mention my questions on whether to select a Kimber Montana .300 Wing Mag or Mountain Ascent .300 Wing Mag on this forum or please point me to another forum. I am also considering the Leupold VX6 3X18-50MM Firedot Wind Plex with CDS as the scope for this selection. I know I have a lot of training to do but want to select the right equipment for my last major hunt. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.